Showing 2664 results

authority records
Corporate body

Osoyoos Customs House

  • Corporate body
  • 1901-1930

The first Customs house was built in 1860. There were 8 customs houses all together. The Osoyoos Customs House was built in Osoyoos between 1901 and 1902. It remained in Osoyoos until 1930 when a new customs house was built at the Canada-US border. Both the Osoyoos customs house and the border customs house
had corrals beside them to hold livestock prior to inspection by a veterinarian. In Osoyoos, the veterinarian lived across the street from the customs house while the customs officer lived in the customs house itself.

Haig-Brown Kingfisher Creek Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1980 - 2001

The Haig-Brown Kingfisher Creek Society was officially formed on May 27, 1980 with the primary goal of undertaking a project to restore the Kingfisher Creek. A tributary of the Campbell River, this creek had originally run through the property of well known B.C. author and conservationist, Roderick Haig-Brown.

Prior to his death in 1976 Haig-Brown had made some preliminary plans to undertake this stream restoration project which later became the basis for the Society. In 2001, after extensive fund raising and several successive phases the project to restore Kingfisher Creek was completed.

In 2001 the Haig-Brown Kingfisher Creek Society underwent a name change (as well as change in focus) and is now known as the Haig-Brown Institute.

West Vancouver School District 45

  • Corporate body
  • 1912-

The West Vancouver School District began in 1912 with the founding of the municipality, when the residents of the District of West Vancouver elected their first Council and school board. Today, the school district is governed by a Board of Trustees and is managed by the Superintendent of Schools. Currently School District 45 encompasses fourteen primary and elementary schools, and three secondary schools in the District of West Vancouver, the Village of Lions Bay, and Bowen Island.

West Vancouver Scottish Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1924-1934

The West Vancouver Scottish Society was established at a meeting held on October 28, 1924. According to its constitution, the purpose of the Society was, among other things, to "perpetuate the traditions and the national life of Scotland and to carry on its Poetry, Melodies and Music...To welcome new arrivals from the old home and to assist where necessary... To hold evenings of social intercourse, where lectures, cards, dancing and other recreations may be interspersed."

The Society was disbanded on a General Meeting held on December 21, 1934. A Trust Committee was appointed to dispose of the assets of the society.

Lower Lonsdale Business Association

  • 178
  • Corporate body
  • 1984-

The Lower Lonsdale Business Association (LLBA) began its activities in 1984 operating under both the names Lonsdale Merchants Association and Lonsdale at the Quay Merchants Association. Originally established to further the aims of the Town Centre Re-enhancement Project and to address issues related to parking availability in the Lower Lonsdale area, the LLBA's first formal activity was to organize a street festival to celebrate the completion of the Re-enhancement Project.

In 1990 the association formally changed its name to the Lower Lonsdale Business Association. On Aug. 24th 1990 the LLBA became a recognised association under the Provincial Societies Act with an executive board consisting of five local business owners and operators: Sean Braddick (president), Ron Kurucz (vice-president), Heidi Cant (secretary), Bonnie Olsen (Treasurer) and Sylvia Braddick (community programmer). Community members included local business owners, operators, or employees representing their business employer and individuals from local non-profit societies.

The mission of the LLBA is to serve the economic interests of its membership and to promote the social interests of other communities at large through combined efforts with other community based organizations to achieve a better social and economic environment in Lower Lonsdale.

LLBA activities include involvement in other community programs such as the Community Policing Centre, Gateway Committee, Lower Lonsdale Steering Committee and Committee Action Network; the publication of a newsletter; and participation in other community sponsored events and festivals, such as the Lower Lonsdale Fall Festival, the Clam Chowder Festival and 911 Relay.

Records pertaining to both the Community Policing Centre and Lower Lonsdale Fall Festival illustrate Vivian Kranenburg's (secretary of the LLBA 1993-2005) involvement with these community groups as a representative of the LLBA.

Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association (Victoria, B.C.)

  • AR030
  • Corporate body
  • 1884 - present

The Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association (CCBA) was established in Victoria in 1884, and served as the main representative body for Chinese in Canada until 1908, when the Chinese Consulate was established in Ottawa. The CCBA's activities have included protesting against racial discrimination, mediating in community disputes concerning business deals and treatment of servants, providing financial assistance to Chinese individuals and families in other parts of Canada, China and Cuba, and monitoring the range of medical care offered by Chinese hospitals in British Columbia. In 1899, the CCBA built the Chinese Hospital in Victoria, which later developed into a boarding house for elderly Chinese men.

Rikki Swin Institute

  • AR421
  • Corporate body
  • 2001-2004

The Rikki Swin Institute: Gender Education, Research, Library and Archives (RSI) opened in Chicago and was the world’s first institute dedicated to transgender research and education. It opened to the public on March 22, 2001, to coincide with the 15th Annual Conference of the International Foundation for Gender Education. The Institute closed in December 2004. The Institute had four objectives: the housing of a library and archives; conference co-sponsorship; digital video education; and research. Archival collections were purchased from Ari Kane, Betty Ann Lind, the International Foundation for Gender Education (IFGE), and Virginia Prince.

Limners (Group of artists)

  • AR440
  • Corporate body
  • 1971-2008

The Victoria Limners Society, commonly referred to as The Limners or The Limner Group, was a collective of painters, potters, sculptors and other visual artists that formed in 1971 in Victoria British Columbia. The name “limner” comes from traveling journeymen painters from the Middle Ages who painted portraits and signs. The Victoria Limners Society incorporated as a non-profit society under the Societies Act of British Columbia in October 1972 and it was dissolved in 2008. Many of their group shows were held at the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria and Winchester Gallery in Victoria, but they also showed in other venues from Vancouver, to Edmonton, to the Atlantic provinces.

1996 marked the 25th anniversary of the Limners and was celebrated with a series of exhibitions at various venues in Victoria, including the Winchester Gallery, the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria and Emily Carr House. This year also saw the publication of a book by Patricia Bovey of the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria called <i>A Passion for Art: The Art and Dynamics of the Limners</i> by Sono Nis Press. This book examined the contribution of the Limners to the Victoria arts scene since the 1970s, both at a group and individual level, as well as the Limners’ relationships with other Canadian artists.

In the late 1990s, Agustin Luviano-Cordero produced a video about the Limners, which was funded in part by Employment and Immigration Canada’s Job Development Programme. It was likely titled <i>The Limners: Art and Friendship</i> and it aired on the Knowledge Network, Rogers, Shaw Cable and possibly the Bravo Channel.

Over the years, Limners members have included Maxwell Bates, Pat Martin Bates, Richard Ciccimarra, Robert De Castro, Walter Dexter, Nita Forrest, Colin Graham, Helga Grove, Jan Grove, Leroy Jensen, Elza Mayhew, Myfanwy Pavelic, Nikola Pavelic, Carole Sabiston, Herbert Siebner, Robin Skelton, Sylvia Skelton, Karl Spreitz and Jack Wilkinson.

Honorary Limner members have included Dennis Bowen, Ann Mayhew, Dick Morris, Peter Pollen, Bernie Ruffo, Martin Segger and Montcrieff Williamson.

Union College

  • AffB 10
  • Corporate body
  • 1927-1971

Union College was created in 1927 through an amalgamation of Ryerson College and Westminster Hall. Union College was located on the UBC campus and continued to provide theological training until 1971, when it amalgamated with the Anglican Theological College. The principals of Union College were J.G. Brown (1927-1948) and William S. Taylor (1948-1971).

Heritage Alive Project

  • AffB 11
  • Corporate body
  • 1974-1979

Heritage Alive was a federally funded project that had the purpose of working with retired church people through British Columbia, to seek out records, historical papers, and minutes of the United Church and its founding churches, and to list where they were located or to obtain them for BC Conference Archives to fill gaps. Another purpose was to record on tape the experiences, reflections, and anecdotes of retired people who had been active in their church and communities. A group called the “History Seekers” was formed to undertake this project, with the Rev. Lawrence G. Sieber as its chair. The project began late in 1974 and ended in 1979.

Student Christian Movement of Canada. University of British Columbia Branch

  • AffB 37
  • Corporate body
  • 1926-1979

In 1921, the SCM of Canada was created. It was formed through student departments in the YMCA and YWCA as well as local Student Christian Associations. In 1926, The Student Christian Movement of Canada, University of British Columbia Branch (SCM, U.B.C.) officially became a member of the Student Christian Movement of Canada. In 1974, the Anglican-United Campus Ministry and SCM, U.B.C. amalgamated to form the Cooperative Christian Campus Ministry (CCCM) at U.B.C. In 1979, the SCM, U.B.C. left the CCCM; campus ministry continued at U.B.C. through the CCCM and later, United Church Campus Ministry.

Central Burnaby United Church (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • BUR CE
  • Corporate body
  • 1970-1991

Central Burnaby United Church was formed in 1970 by the amalgamation of Deer Lake United Church (Burnaby, B.C.: 1955-1970), Douglas United Church (Burnaby, B.C.), and St. Matthew's United Church (Burnaby, B.C.). In 1991, its name was changed to Deer Lake United Church (Burnaby, B.C.: 1991-). It is a single-point charge in Westminster Presbytery.

Deer Lake United Church (Burnaby, B.C. : 1991- )

  • BUR DE
  • Corporate body
  • 1991-

Central Burnaby United Church was formed in 1970 by the amalgamation of Deer Lake United Church (Burnaby, B.C. : 1955-1970), Douglas United Church (Burnaby, B.C.), and St. Matthew's United Church (Burnaby, B.C.) In 1991, its name was changed to Deer Lake United Church (Burnaby, B.C. : 1991-). It is a single-point charge in Westminster Presbytery.

Deer Lake United Church (Burnaby, B.C. : 1955-1970)

  • BUR DL
  • Corporate body
  • 1955-1970

Deer Lake United Church (Burnaby, B.C. : 1955-1970) began in 1923 as Burnaby Lake Community Church Association (interdenominational). It joined the United Church at union in 1925 as Burnaby Lake United Church. Its name was changed in 1955 to Deer Lake United Church (Burnaby, B.C. : 1955-1970). In its early years, it was part of several pastoral charges: Douglas Road Pastoral Charge, with Douglas United Church (1926-1930); Burnaby Pastoral Charge, with Dundonald and East Burnaby United Churches (1930-1950); and East Burnaby Pastoral Charge, with East Burnaby United Church (1950-54). It was a separate single-point charge in Westminster Presbytery from 1954 to 1970. In 1970, it amalgamated with St. Matthew's and Douglas United Churches to form Central Burnaby United Church (Burnaby, B.C.), which was later renamed Deer Lake United Church (Burnaby, B.C. : 1991- ).

Yaletown Productions Inc.

  • CAN-124
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-present

Michael Collier is the common thread relating the creators of this fonds to each other. For a biography of Collier and administrative histories of the film companies represented in this fonds which Collier was involved with (as founder, producer, president, partner) please see descriptions at the respective sousfonds levels: Michael Collier personal records, Tommy Tompkins Wildlife Films, New Horizon Films Ltd, North Wind Films Ltd, Yaletown Productions Inc, Urban Safari Films Inc, Post Digital Inc and Yaletown Entertainment Corp.

Local No. 1 CCF Club of Saanich

  • CCF
  • Corporate body
  • 1933-

The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation, or CCF, was formed in Calgary in 1932 as a political coalition with the goal of economic reforms to improve conditions resulting from the Great Depression. It soon became well established, and CCF clubs were formed across the country, including a number in Saanich. The first meeting of Local No. 1 CCF club in Saanich was held on September 13, 1933 at 3234 Albina Street with Mr. Williamson as Chairman. Meetings were held in members’ homes and occasionally at St. Mark’s hall until the construction of the Douglas CCF Hall (located at 3368 Douglas Street) in 1944. The club registered under the Societies Act in 1950. In 1952, CCF member Frank Snowsell was elected MLA for the constituency of Saanich in the British Columbia general election, a position he held for one year. In 1961 the CCF entered into a formal alliance with the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) to create the New Democratic Party. Following this change, the Douglas CCF Hall Society was renamed the Douglas NDP Hall Society.

McKee Athletic Association

  • CR-120
  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1931-1995]

The McKee Athletic Association was incorporated under the Societies act on February 27th, 1931. The first directors of the society were farmers and property owners in East Delta and included; Lester Waldon Embree, Thomas J. Robertson, Leyland Feildon Hornby, Walter Parry, George Burton Embree and John Fallis. The 2.71 acres described as S.E. 1/4 of Section 3, Township 4 of New Westminster District (10379 Ladner Trunk Road),originally owned by David A. McKee was conveyed in trust to Thomas Joseph Robertson on Nov. 27, 1930 for a park and community hall in East Delta. The formation of the society and the ownership of land, enabled the community to build a community hall for public meetings, concerts, lectures, dances, and offices. At the same time members of St. Stephen's United Church were thinking of building a church hall and so it was decided that building a community hall could also double as a church hall and St. Stephen's was promised free use of the new facility once it was built. The society's constitution stipulates that white residents over 18 years of age could purchase memberships to the society for $4.00 in 1931. The building was partially rebuilt with new windows and a rear addition in 1995 after a damaging fire which occurred in 1993.

Rotary Ann Club of Ladner

  • CR-127
  • Corporate body
  • 1961-2000

The term "Rotary Ann" is an affectionate nickname for the wives of the male members of the Rotary Clubs internationally. The term grew out of an interesting historical occasion.

In 1914, the San Francisco Rotarians were boarding a special train to attend the Rotary convention being held in Houston. The name "Rotary Ann" was the nickname given to Ann Brunnier, the only wife of a Rotary member to make the trip with her husband. At the next convention, Rotary Ann skits and songs were written. One of the prominent Rotarians in Houston was Guy Gundaker of Philadelphia, whose wife's name was also Ann. The two Anns were hoisted on the men's shoulders and paraded about the hall. The term of endearment, "Rotary Ann" was given to all the wives of Rotarians from that day on. Because their husbands eventually became presidents of Rotary International, the two original Anns became the First Ladies of the Rotary.

The Ladner Rotary Anns' first meeting took place on January 18, 1961. Their main interest was in providing a social club for Rotary women, but they did take on some service activities. Some of the charities they supported were: The Delta Foundation, The Provincial Resource Program for Autism and Related Disorders, Delta Community Hospice Foundation, Deltassist Community Services Society, as well as the Soil and Water Conservation Foundation of the Philippines. Their correspondence reveals the many donations these women made, as well as the many requests for support they received as wives of service club members.

The 1961/62 Executive Officers of the Club were:

President: Betty Burnett
Vice Pres: Muriel Remphrey
Secretary: Peggy Oliver
Sgt-at-arms: Winonah Maxwell

Delta Shingle Mill

  • CR-133
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-1916

The Delta Shingle Company was incorporated in 1909 to operate as timber merchants, shingle manufacturers, and sawmill proprietors in Delta. Wesley Thompson of Bellingham, Washington, was the owner of the company. He operated a shingle mill located on the Great Northern Railway (near 72nd Avenue) in North Delta between 1910 and 1916. The company had a logging railway called the Delta Eastern (or Delta Great Eastern), built about 1914, that ran from Kennedy Station on Scott Road through the forest in North Delta to the location of the mill. Prior to the logging railway, shingle bolts were hauled to the mill by horse and wagon. The mill produced shingles and railway ties, which were loaded on to a rail car on a spur of the Great Northern R.R. to be transported to market.

Wesley Harold Thompson was one of 6 children of Robert John Thompson and Emma Richards, born in Michigan in 1875. He married Laura Helene Olson Wilson in 1903 and they had 7 children. Their son Kenneth was born in New Westminster in 1915 while the family lived in British Columbia in the 1910's. Wesley Thompson owned and operated three shingle mills in British Columbia and Washington before retiring to run a poultry farm in Canby, Oregon, in 1920. Mr. Thompson died at 76 years of age in 1956 in Canby.

Delta Manor Co-operative Association

  • CR-142
  • Corporate body
  • 1945-1965

The Delta Manor Co-operative Association was incorporated June 18th, 1945, and dissolved in 1966. The Association was created to manage Delta Manor Hall and the functions held in it. Originally membership was limited to people living in Delta Manor and Delta Manor Extension, but eventually membership included other residents of Delta. Shares in the co-operative were sold for $1.00 with a maximum of ten shares per person. In 1966 the Hall was sold to Delta Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and members were asked to return their shares.

Grant's Litho and Printing

  • CR-145
  • Corporate body
  • 1955-1969

Ivy and Robert Grant (Grant's Litho and Printing) published a six page local newspaper in Ladner, B.C. from 1955 to 1969. The newspaper was originally called the Sporting News, from October 6, 1955 to August, 22, 1957. The name was changed to Delta Advertiser from Nov. 24, 1960 to Jan. 25, 1961, and then to Delta News from Feb. 8, 1961 to April 10, 1969, when the paper stopped publishing. The Grants' paper carried local sports, hunting and fishing news, news about events at the schools, municipal council news, letters to the editor and editorials, advertisements and community announcements, and news about political and economic events that affected Delta.

Ladner Business Association

  • CR-146
  • Corporate body
  • 1985-2007

The Ladner Business Association (L.B.A.) was founded in 1955 and is still active. Formerly known as the Ladner Businessmen’s Association, the L.B.A. is made up of a group of business owners and community members who meet regularly to discuss issues and organize events in Ladner. According to their mission statement the Ladner Business Association “fosters a positive business climate, engages in the community, maintains relationships with the government and promotes Ladner. L.B.A. members support one another through networking, mentoring and social interaction."
The L.B.A. plans and hosts numerous community events throughout the year. The Easter Parade and Egg Hunt, Quilt Walk and Classic Car Show, May Days, Open Air Market, Summer Barbeque, Family Fright Fest, Breakfast with Santa, Annual Christmas Tree Lighting, Carol Ships, and Christmas Banquet are all L.B.A.-sponsored events. In the past they actively promoted and sponsored the Snow Goose Festival before its cancellation. These activities bring many people and potential customers into Ladner shops and restaurants.
Ladner Business Association also gives a scholarship every year to a deserving student.
Ladner Business Association also is a strong voice representing the business owners in Ladner. They act on behalf of their members, writing letters of support when a member is applying for permits or when action needs to be taken, such as vandalism to stores or unfair and unlawful sale of goods. They keep close contact with the Corporation of Delta, as well as the local MLAs and MPs. They frequently send letters pertaining to matters that affect local businesses and the broader Ladner community. They have spearheaded numerous projects, such as the Business Improvement Area Society (B.I.A.), the Ladner Fraser River Boat Launch restoration and improving parking in the downtown core with the Ladner Parking Corporation.
The Ladner Business Association is lead by a president and executive council who are elected by other members annually.

Past presidents include: (Not in chronological order)
Walt Heyward
Brad Cooper
Michael Owen
George North
Bill McKnight
Jack Pashleigh
Stan Hardcastle
Bruce Cochrane
Alayne Lyndon
Ed Weightman
William Jones
Kelly Guichon
Marv Fraser

Canadian Federation of University Women-Delta/South Delta

  • CR-152
  • Corporate body
  • 1966-2006

The Canadian Federation of University Women (C.F.U.W.)-Delta was formed in 1966 by a gathering of interested women in Ladner who held university degrees. The Canadian Federation of University Women is a member of the International Federation of University Women.
The objectives of the C.F.U.W.- Delta is ‘to stimulate intellectual activity in university women; to promote interest in public affairs and to afford an opportunity for the expression of united opinion; to facilitate social intercourse and co operation among university women’. The constitution was formed on Janurary 11, 1967. The charter also specifies that each member of the club must hold a university degree and be a resident of Delta.

The charter members of the C.F.U.W.-Delta were; Mrs. John Husband (Stella), Mrs. Barrie Hamilton (Phoebe), Mrs. Frank Peto (Ruth), Mrs. Austin Frith ( Mary), Mrs. Kenneth Hardy (Marie), Mrs. Don Swenson (Pat), Mrs. Paul Swenson (Gerry), Mrs. Bruce McIntyre (Sharon), Mrs. Kenneth Sotvedt (Wendy), Mrs. Pat Shields. The executive was elected Nov. 9, 1966 and were comprised of: President: Stella Husband; Vice President: Phoebe Hamilton; Secretary: Ruth Peto; Treasurer: Donna Cole; Social Convenor: Mary Frith; Membership: Joan Madill.

In 1981, C.F.U.W.- Delta began to draw in additional members in North Delta which branched out to form C.F.U.W.- North Delta in October 1981. With the formation of the North Delta club in October 1981, the C.F.U.W.-Delta changed it’s name to C.F.U.W.- South Delta and amended their constitution. C.F.U.W.-South Delta continues to operate under the same constitution in the community today. The Club organizes and hosts various events to fundraise for charitable organizations such as the Delta Hospital Auxiliary as well as providing student bursaries. One of their major fundraising events for many years was an annual book sale. The executive members hold regular monthly meetings in each other’s homes in Delta. An endowment fund was set up under the name of Laura Fowler in 1994-95.The C.F.U.W.- South Delta club is still in operation today.

Canadian Federation of University Women- Delta/South Delta

  • CR-152
  • Corporate body
  • 1966-2012

The Canadian Federation of University Women (C.F.U.W.)-Delta was formed in 1966 by a gathering of interested women in Ladner who held university degrees. The Canadian Federation of University Women is a member of the International Federation of University Women.
The objectives of the C.F.U.W.- Delta is ‘to stimulate intellectual activity in university women; to promote interest in public affairs and to afford an opportunity for the expression of united opinion; to facilitate social intercourse and co operation among university women’. The constitution was formed on Janurary 11, 1967. The charter also specifies that each member of the club must hold a university degree and be a resident of Delta.
The charter members of the C.F.U.W.-Delta were; Mrs. John Husband (Stella), Mrs. Barrie Hamilton (Phoebe), Mrs. Frank Peto (Ruth), Mrs. Austin Frith ( Mary), Mrs. Kenneth Hardy (Marie), Mrs. Don Swenson (Pat), Mrs. Paul Swenson (Gerry), Mrs. Bruce McIntyre (Sharon), Mrs. Kenneth Sotvedt (Wendy), Mrs. Pat Shields. The executive was elected Nov. 9, 1966 and were comprised of: President: Stella Husband; Vice President: Phoebe Hamilton; Secretary: Ruth Peto; Treasurer: Donna Cole; Social Convenor: Mary Frith; Membership: Joan Madill.
In 1981, C.F.U.W.- Delta began to draw in additional members in North Delta which branched out to form C.F.U.W.- North Delta in October 1981. With the formation of the North Delta club in October 1981, the C.F.U.W.-Delta changed it’s name to C.F.U.W.- South Delta and amended their constitution. C.F.U.W.-South Delta continues to operate under the same constitution in the community today. The Club organizes and hosts various events to fundraise for charitable organizations such as the Delta Hospital Auxiliary as well as providing student bursaries. One of their major fundraising events for many years was an annual book sale. The executive members hold regular monthly meetings in each other’s homes in Delta. An endowment fund was set up under the name of Laura Fowler in 1994-95.The C.F.U.W.- South Delta club is still in operation today.

Results 51 to 75 of 2664