Showing 3239 results

authority records
Leaf, Olive Esther
CA MRM OEL · Person · 28/10/1901 - 02/11/1995

Olive Esther Leaf (nee Mccormick) was born in Saskatchewan on October 28, 1901, later relocating to British Columbia. She married Thomas Leaf in Fort Langley in 1924. The couple had settled in Whonnock, where Olive became a life-long community activist. She was deeply involved with the Women's Institute and Whonnock Hall, also participating in the Whonnock and Maple Ridge fairs. Olive and Thomas were well-known congregants at the United Church in Whonnock and became a central member of the community.

Olive died in Maple Ridge on November 2, 1995.

Mussallem, Solomon
CA MRM SOM · Person · 7/11/1881 - 24/6/1963

Solomon Mussallem was born on November 7, 1881 in Al-Biqāʿ, Lebanon, migrating to Canada in 1898 to escape Turkish persecution of Christian citizens. First settling in Winnipeg, Manitoba, he eloped with Annie (Hanny) Besytt (1888-1973) in 1905. Their first child died in infancy and their son George Mussallem was born in 1908.

The family moved to Prince Rupert, British Columbia in search of greater prosperity. There, the couple had four more children: Nicholas Mussallem (1910), Mary Rushworth (nee Mussallem) (1912), Helen Kathleen Mussallem (1915), and Peter Michael Mussallem (1916).

Solomon and his family relocated once more to Haney, British Columbia, where he opened Haney Garage in 1919 and his sixth child, Lily Anne Harper (nee Mussallem) was born in 1922.

Solomon's business, eventually renamed Mussallem Motors, became successful and he became a fixture in the town of Haney. Entering politics in 1928, he was elected Reeve of Maple Ridge in 1930 and remained such in 1953. He further saved as Mayor of Maple Ridge for the following terms: 1930 - 1934, 1936 - 1943, 1946 - 1953.

Solomon was heavily involved in cultural live in Haney and the Ridge-Meadows area, including the Maple Ridge - Pitt Meadows Historical Society.

Solomon died in Maple Ridge on June 24, 1963.

Dunning, Edgar, 1910-2010
CR-115 · Person · 1910-2010

Edgar Clesson Dunning was born in Elbow, Saskatchewan, January 7, 1910, the eldest of three sons of Vincent Clesson Dunning and Gertrude Agnes (Hastey) Dunning. Edgar's brothers are Winston Eric (1912 - 1971) and William Abijah (1914 - 2003). In 1922, the Dunning family moved to Ladner where Vincent Dunning, a printer by trade, started a newspaper, the Weekly Optimist. Mr. Dunning went to California the following year, but Gertrude and her sons stayed in Ladner and continued to publish the Optimist. Edgar acted as the editor of the paper from 1935 to 1942, taking over as publisher from Gertrude in 1942. The award winning Delta Optimist became the premier community paper of Delta. Edgar acted as reporter, editor, and photographer for the paper, and expanded the operation into the printing business. He held the position of publisher until 1964 and then acted as co-publisher from 1964 to 1980 when a half interest in the paper was sold to E.G. Bexley. The Bexley family purchased the remaining shares in January 1983. The Delta Optimist now publishes as part of the Can West Company.

Edgar Dunning has always been active in the community life of Delta, his long association with the Optimist giving him a perfect vantage point for observing Delta events. He was a founding member of the Kinsmen Club of Ladner (1935), the Delta Community Band Society (1964), and the Delta Historical and Museum Society (1969). He has served on the executives of the Delta Board of Trade, Beach Grove Golf Club, Delta Memorial Park Association, and the Ladner Business Association, and has been a member of such fraternal organizations as the Elks, Odd Fellows, and the Masons. Edgar has the distinction of serving on every Delta committee organized to mark national, provincial and municipal centennials. An alumnus of King George V High School in Ladner, Edgar has been instrumental in organizing reunions of the "Ex High Club". Edgar was also an active member of the British Columbia Weekly Newspapers' Association and the Canadian Weekly Newspapers Association, serving as the youngest president of the former in 1941. In 1961, Edgar was appointed editor of the Pacific Region edition of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's (CBC) radio program "Neighbourly News," for which he created broadcasts for the next 26 years.

After retiring from the news business, Edgar returned to writing columns for local Delta papers, starting the Rambling column in 1989 and writing a series on the old homes of Delta in 1991. He has authored many articles, and collaborated on books, about Delta's history, and continues to actively promote the preservation and appreciation of the history of Delta. In his ninth decade Edgar continued to contribute to the community through his activities in community associations, notably as a commissioner on the Delta Heritage Advisory Commission and as director of the Burns Bog Conservation Society.

Edgar Dunning married Elsie Maria Bowing (1916 - 1998) in 1942. Elsie was the youngest daughter of Westham Island pioneers, Herman and Elvira Bowing. Edgar and Elsie had two children, Susan Elvira (Douglas) Darlington, and Gene Lindsay (Jane) Dunning.
Edgar died at the age of 100 yrs on October 23, 2010. Up until his death in 2010, Edgar was still writing his 'Rambling' editorial column for the Delta Optimist Newspaper.

Kuchma, William
CR-124 · Person · 1944-1967

William Kuchma served as a flight Sergeant in the RCAF during WWII. He enlisted in Winnipeg at the age of 17 and was part of No. 431 Squadron. He trained at No. 10 B&G, 22 O.T.U Dalton Battle School and 1664 II. O. U. Kuchma flew over targets in Mersberg, Hamburg, Essen and Nuremburg. At Hamburg on March of 1945 his Landcaster aircraft "S" encountered three German Me. 262 fighter planes at 17000 feet. He is credited with one plane destroyed and one plane damaged. This is part of the only pitched battle between the German jets who usually operated during the day and the RCAF who usually operated at night. Within 12 minutes fifty encounters with the RCAF bombers were reported. Kuchma was awarded a Distinguished Flying Medal in September of 1945 for his skills and his cooperation with Captain Heaven. In 1967 Kuchma was invited to the "Salute to the Airmen of the Golden Age of Aviation Development" by the President of the Centennial Air Show Society (R. H Laidman) in Abbotsford.

William Kuchma was born on October 17th, 1925, in Beausjour Manitoba. His parents moved west to Richmond during the war and he came to join them after the war. He worked for Gertrude's father on his farm (at 709 Gilbert Rd. Richmond) as well as for the J. J Moore trucking Co. In addition William worked for B.C Packers. William married his wife Gertrude Moore in 1947. His sister Sophie Kuchma was the first Salmon Queen at Steveston in 1940. The couple moved to Whitehorse where William worked for the army. They had two children; Beverley Jane Elizabeth in 1950 and William in 1957/58?. In 1981 they moved to Ladner and in Dec. 1984 William Kushma died.

Fawcett, A.E.
CR-125 · Person · [ca. 1894-1905]

The A. E. Fawcett family moved from Scarboro, Ontario, to British Columbia, in 1894 or 1895. The family head Edward Albert (Edward) Fawcett (1838-1911) and his wife Margaret (nee Thompson) settled in Ladner in 1894 or 1895. Edward, a druggist, owned and operated the Ladner Drug Store from 1895 to 1902 when he sold the business to F. J. MacKenzie and moved to Victoria. The local doctor, Dr. Woodley, and his wife boarded with the Fawcetts in Ladner (1901 census).
Edward and Margaret had three grown sons when they moved to British Columbia: Frederick William Fawcett (1869-1941), Albert E. Fawcett (1867-1942), and Arthur Thompson Fawcett (1871-1945). The two older sons were trained as druggists like their father. Albert opened a drugstore in Victoria in the late 1890s and later on Granville St. in Vancouver, and Fred a drugstore in Victoria and then later on Oak Street in Vancouver. (Frederick is listed as F. W. Faucet in the 1901 census). Albert married Margaret May Curts in 1898 in Vancouver. Frederick married Annie Maria probably in Ontario before moving.
Arthur had been apprenticed to a boot and shoe firm in Toronto. Upon coming to British Columbia, he also settled in Ladner as had his father and mother. He was employed as an accountant by Thomas McNeely , the owner of the largest general store in Ladner, which was sold to Marshall Snith in 1902. Arthur Fawcett joined two other employees of the Marshall Smith store to buy out their employer in 1907, and formed the company "Lanning, Fawcett and Wilson", which owned and operated the "Big Store" store on Chisholm and Delta Streets. Arthur had a successful business career in Delta and died in Ladner in 1945.

Curran, Edith
CR-129 · Person · 1890-1972

Edith and Henry Curran (or Curren) farmed in the Delta Manor area of Delta near Ladner from 1928 to 1972. Henry bought Lot 11 (2.2 acres) in Block 15 of District Lot 116 in 1928, and moved onto his poultry farm with his wife Edith in 1930/31. The poultry business expanded into small fruit farming by 1934, and butter and milk sales augmented their income from 1936 to 1956. Henry was 14 years older than Edith, and after Henry died in 1945, Edith continued to operate the small farm at 5209 Westminster Avenue until she retired in 1972.

Henry was born Heman Curren on March 20th, 1885, in St. Emede District, La Belle County, Quebec of Irish ancestry. As a young man he travelled to British Columbia to work as a logger and where he enlisted in 1917 to fight in World War I. It is during his time in England that he may have met his wife Edith Uff. Edith was born in England, April 3, 1898. The couple did not have children. Henry died at home July 25th, 1945, and Edith died at home July 24th, 1976.

Patterson, John Lionel
CR-130 · Person · 1940-[1959]

John Lionel Patterson (1908-1998) was born in Ontario and moved with his family to Vancouver in the early 1920s. He worked as a radio installer and repairman for Mc & Mc in Vancouver. At the outbreak of WW2, Mr. Patterson joined the Boundary Bay Flying Training Co. Ltd., a civilian company contracted to train pilots at No. 18, E.F.T.S. (Elementary Flying Training School) at the newly built R.C.A.F. Station at Boundary Bay. His jobs were radio training for the pilots and maintaining the Link Trainer. Lionel and his wife Bertha Muriel (nee Glasser) rented a cottage in Beach Grove, where their son John Lionel Keith was born in 1941. Mr. Patterson continued to work for the flying training school when it moved to Caron, Sask., in 1942. He then worked for Boeing Aircraft Co. at Sea Island and Seattle.

Franks, Robert
CR-132 · Person · 1950-1964

Robert Franks (1899-1968) and his wife Edna came to Delta in 1948 and founded and operated Ladner Turkey Farms on Summer Avenue adjacent to the International border (Point Roberts) in Tsawwassen from 1950 to 1960. Before he retired from raising turkeys Mr. Franks had won national and international prizes for his turkeys. The Franks operated their own hatchery, raising over 30,000 poults in the mid 1950s and keeping a large breeding flock on their farm in Tsawwassen. The poults were shipped to farms all over North America, including the Franks' farm in Princeton, to mature for market. Robert Franks specialized in Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys under his own brand Ladner Turkey Farms (L.T.F.).

Robert Franks was born in Bolton, England, in 1899. He came to Vancouver in 1921 and worked as a contractor until he came to Delta. He married Edna Frances A. Attwooll in 1927 in Vancouver. Robert and Edna had two sons, Roy and Ralph.

Maxwell, Harry
CR-135 · Person · 1919-1992

Harry Alvan Maxwell was born in Ladner June 30, 1919, and lived his life there and in Port Guichon. His father, William Alexander Maxwell (1877-1946), moved from his family home in Ontario to Ladner about 1906 or 1907. In 1914 William (Billy) purchased the Fashion Stable business and two lots (Lots 35 and 36 of D.L. 106) from J.M. Collinson, and operated a livery stable and coal and wood delivery business there until his death in 1946. Billy married Constance Tiller (?-1958) in 1916 and they had two children, Everett Lorraine (Raynie) born in 1918 and Harry Alvan in 1919. The family lived in a duplex on Georgia Street until sometime in the mid 1930's when Constance and Harry separated and Harry and the boys moved into the small house by Fashion Stables. Harry left school after Gr. VII and worked as a fisherman. His first boat was called “L’il Iodine.” In August 1941, Harry volunteered for the Fishermen’s Reserve which patrolled the Pacific Coast of Canada for enemy activity from 1939 to 1944. In 1944 Harry entered the Canadian Army and served in Europe aiding displaced civilians for the duration of the war. Harry returned to Ladner after the war and took up fishing again. In 1949 Harry and Helen Bradshaw were married.

Harry and Helen lived in the small house by Fashion Stables for the first five years of their marriage. They moved to their first home in Port Guichon in 1955, purchased through the VLA. (4546 River Road; the house had been built by May and Murray Dobrilla about 10 years before). They also purchased a lot on the river (Lot 12, D.L. 96) where they could tie up Harry’s last fishing boat “Halary” built in 1958. Helen and Harry had three children: Alvan in 1950, Laurence Everett (“Babe”) in 1951 and Micky Marvin in 1965. When Micky was born Harry quit fishing, sold the boat “Halary”, and worked for the School Board as a custodian until he retired in 1976. Harry passed away in 1992.

Fogg, Louise
CR-135 · Person · 1927-1979

Louise Fogg (nee Fritz, born 1959) is the grandaughter of Catherine Fritz (1897-1973) and Edward Fritz (1893 -1964) who retired to 4861 Maple Road (53rd Street) in Delta Manor in Ladner in about 1950. Louise and Leonard (twins) and Joanne Fritz, the younger children of Catherine and Edward's son George Fritz (1927-1984), stayed with their grandparents after their parent's separation. Their older sister Frances and George's sister, Margaret, are other members of the Fritz family who appear in Margaret's photograph album. The photos in Margaret's album provide a view of Delta Manor in the 1960's as the farming community experiences suburban growth.

Louise married Tom Fogg, May 19, 1985. Tom's parents were Jack and Irma (nee Brandrith). Jack and Irma Fogg lived in Delta Manor on Maple Road, to the south of Ladner Trunk Road, in the 1930's. Jack Fogg (1922-1999) was the son of Robert Percy (1887-1955) and Alice E. Fogg (1894-1975) who moved to Delta Manor in 1927 with the purpose of making a living from their small farm on Lot 16. Their house burned down in 1929, and they subsequently sold Lot 16 to the Johnson family. They bought Lot 11 on the other side of Maple Road and built a new house in 1930, which features prominently in the Fogg family photograph album. The lot bordered Chilukthan Slough in which the Fogg children, Walter (born 1920), Jack (John Hugo, born 1922), Mabel (born 1924) and Pauline (born 1926) went swimming. Photographs in the Fogg album show gardens of flowers, vegetables and small fruit, pasture for the family cow and horse, and on neighboring farms, the ubiquitous chicken houses. The 3 acre farm did not support the family and Percy also worked in New Westminster for his brother Paul Fogg.

Jack Fogg went to high school at Delta Central School and then worked at J.H Perry's Department Store before enlisting in the R.C.N.V.R.. Jack served on the H.M.C.S. Nene during World War II. After the war, Jack returned to Ladner and work in the Perry store, where he met his wife Irma Brandrith. They married in 1949 and had two children, Colleen (1950-) and Thomas (1955-). From 1949 to 1975 Jack owned and operated Jack Fogg Motors on the corner of Westham Street (48th Avenue) and Garry Street.

Maxwell, Helen
CR-136 · Person · 1927-2006

Helen Celeste Bradshaw was born August 19, 1927, in Prince George, the second of four children and sister to three brothers Laurie, Jackie and Donny. Her mother, Laure (nee Maigret) and father Herbert Bradshaw moved to Ladner in 1936 after the confectionery business that Herbert ran in Prince George went bankrupt. Herbert and Laure separated shortly after, leaving Laure to bring up the children. Laure found work picking berries and in the pea cannery and then established her own taxi business in 1941 with partner Jack Bavin. The taxi business thrived during the Second World War and was sold in 1947. Laure married Cal Clark in 1948, first moving to a farm near Tilbury Island and then in 1951 to Williams Lake. Helen’s teenage years had the added excitement of being near the British Commonwealth Air Training base at Boundary Bay during the Second World War. Helen graduated from high school in 1946 and worked at the Royal Bank. Helen married Harry Maxwell in 1949.

Harry and Helen lived in the small house by Fashion Stables for the first five years of their marriage. They moved to their first home in Port Guichon in 1955, purchased through the VLA. (4546 River Road; the house had been built by May and Murray Dobrilla about 10 years before). They also purchased a lot on the river (Lot 12, D.L. 96) where they could tie up Harry’s last fishing boat “Halary” built in 1958. Helen and Harry had three children: Alvan in 1950, Laurence Everett (“Babe”) in 1951 and Micky Marvin in 1965. When Micky was born Harry quit fishing, sold the boat “Halary”, and worked for the School Board as a custodian until he retired in 1976. Harry passed away in 1992.

Helen had learned to sew from her grandmother and used her skills to work as a dressmaker in Ladner. She did very well at dressmaking, which gave her income to take up other activities such as curling. Helen had the double lot divided on which their first house was located and built a second more modern home next to it at 4538 River Road in 1989/90. This house was sold in 2006 when Helen moved into an apartment in Ladner.

Chung, Chuck
CR-139 · Person · 1897-1986

Chung Chuck (Chung Mor Ping) was born in Canton, China, in about 1897, and immigrated to British Columbia with his father in 1909. They settled in Ladner, Delta, where a large Chinese community had established in the 1880's. In 1929, Chung Chuck bought land at the west end of Westham Street (48th Avenue), the site of Ladner's old Chinatown, and farmed there until the mid 1980's. He built his first home at 4756 47A Street, which became the famous "Chung Chuck Potato Grower" building. Chung Chuck married Victoria born Mary (May Lee, 1907-1969) in 1940. They had five children: two sons, Winch and Napoleon, and three daughters, Vickie, Joyce and Frances. In the mid-1940's Chung Chuck purchased the Maeda home on Westham Street, which became the family's home and restaurant business. Chung Chuck established a houseboat moorage and marina on the riverfront of his property in the 1970's, leading to one of Ladner's more spectacular incidents: the 1977 standoff between Chung Chuck and Delta police over the Municipality's threat to cut off his water supply.

Chung Chuck's main cash crop was potatoes. In the late 1920's a scheme for regulating the marketing of potatoes came into force, which also had the goal of eliminating Chinese farmers from the Lower Mainland. Chung Chuck was one of many farmers to protest the actions of the marketing board. However he became famous as a potato bootlegger (as well as selling liquor illegally) which brought him into court numerous times and caused his interest in learning about the law. In the 1950's, Chung Chuck ran several times for Chairman of the B.C. Coast Vegetable Marketing Board. He also ran for Reeve of Delta in 1957.

Chung Chuck's colourful life and career has been chronicled in numerous articles as well as a CBC television docudrama , which features the 1977 incident. Chung Chuck passed away Dec. 8, 1986.

Baker, George T.
CR-143 · Person · 1874-1928

George Thomas Baker (1874-1928) was a prominent businessman in Ladner, opening a wheelright and blacksmith business on Elliott Street in 1897 called Ladner Carriage Works. He was well known for carriage painting. He expanded his business into hardware, and farm machinery repair and sales, acting as an agent for T.J. Trapp & Co. which sold potato farming equipment. Mr. Baker began to cater to the new automobile business in about 1912, renaming his business Ladner Carriage and Automobile Works.

George Baker married Ursula Ott in 1903. They had three sons (Lloyd, Lyle and Glen) and three daughters (Irene, Adelaide and Phyllis). The Baker family built a large home at 4883 48th Avenue in 1922, which was later moved to a new location at 4919 48th Avenue in 1985. Mr. Baker served the community as Police Commissioner and as a member of the volunteer fire brigade. He belonged to Delta Lodge No. 15, IOOF, the Shriners, and the A.F. & A.M. (Masons). When Mr. Baker died in 1928, Ursula and her children moved to Vancouver and the house was sold in 1944.

Neilson, Ebba Bowing
CR-151 · Person · 1906-1985

Mrs. Neilson was born Ebba Sofia Bowing on Westham Island on June 26, 1906. Ebba's parents were Herman Sven and Elvira W. Bowing (nee Petersen) who emmigrated to Delta's Westham Island from Sweden in about 1903. Herman Bowing got a job working for his uncle Paul Swenson at a Westham Island fish cannery. Ebba was the third child to Herman and Elvira who had seven children; Martha Elvira, Paul Herbert, Ebba Sofia, Anna Catherine, John Herman, Edward Adrew and Elsie Maria. All of their children were born on Westham Island except for their eldest, Maria Elvira who was born in Kalmar, Sweden in 1902 and emmigrated to Delta with her parents.

Ebba grew up on Westham Island in a house her parents built in 1909 on acreage near the centre of the island. Mr. Bowing continued to work at the canneries on the west coast while her mother, Elvira managed the farm and brought up the seven children. Ebba attended Ladner Public school and King George V High School. Ebba attended many of the May Day celebrations in Ladner and was honoured as May Queen in 1922. After graduating from highschool, Ebba took her training to become a teacher at the Vancouver Normal School. She taught at Sunbury Elementary School until she married Thomas Edward Neilson in 1926.

Ebba and her husband Thomas Edward Neilson made their home in Vancouver and Fort St. James before moving to Ladner in 1944 where Mr. Neilson reclaimed and farmed land east of Ferry Road (District lots 471 & 452). Ebba and her husband had two children, Croydon and Mildred (Elliott). In order to create productive farmland on their property, Mr. Neilson had to do extensive dyking and draining. By 1947, the soil became productive and Mr. Neilson was then able to farm a variety of crops including sugar beet seed, potatoes and hay. He was also able to use the land to raise beef cattle and farmed the land until 1968. The couple's house was located at 5150 Westminster Ave.

In 1954, Ebba's husband took action to seek a declaration under the Quieting Titles Act to the land which adjoined their 168 acre farm. Mr. Neilson fought for a further 200 acres that were the results of the accretion of marsh land next to their original titled land. Mr. Neilson was awarded this land in a court ruling in October of 1954, much to the dismay of lower mainland hunting groups which claimed the area as a duck nesting ground. The couple continued to live at thier home on Westminster Ave. after Ed retired from farming in 1968. Following Mr. Neilson's retirement, the farm was sold to Keith Baldwin.

Ebba was an ardent gardener and created a picturesque garden at their home on Westminster Ave. She was a member of the Westham Island Sewing Circle and the Friendship Group of the Ladner United Church. She enjoyed bowling as a member of the Kingpins in the Thursday afternoon ladies league and in her later years she also played the electronic organ. Ebba passed away in 1985, at the age of 79 while vacationing on a cruise in South America.

Keeley, Martin
CR-37 · Person · 1971-1998

Martin Keeley was a drama critic turned environmentalist. He moved to Point Roberts with his wife, Claudette Reed Upton-Keeley, and quickly began supporting a fight against golf course, condominium and hotel development in the area because it threatened the local heron colony. Martin and his wife Claudette worked hand in hand to research their passion of herons and to preserve the Point Roberts heron rookery. Keeley then helped to found the Point Roberts Heron Preservation Committee (PRHPC) in 1989 and remained on as director for many years until the organization's membership interest spread from just Point Roberts to the entire span of Boundary Bay, at which point the B.C. Great Blue Heron Society was created to encorporate all of the surrounding areas interests. The PRHPC then became a sub-committee of the BC Great Blue Heron Society, linking it to other environmental groups and environmentalists. With the work Keeley was doing for the Point Roberts Heron Preservation Committee, he came into contact with the Fraser for Life Communications Society that the PRHPC then worked with.

In July 1990, Martin Keeley along with the Fraser for Life decided to create another company under the umbrella of the Communications Society, calling it the Friends of Boundary Bay. The intention was to get Martin Keeley to be the executive director of the organization. The Friends of Boundary Bay was an environmental advocacy group working to preserve the Boundary Bay area in Delta. It acted as a lobbyist for the preservation of the Boundary Bay area as a wildlife preserve, and for the prevention of golf course development in the area. The organization's activities in this area included attending Delta Council meetings, issuing press releases, and staging demonstrations. The organization also worked to launch interpretive programs and a mobile interpretive unit regarding the preservation of Boundary Bay. The organization also staged fundraisers, including a reading by W. P. Kinsella and a silent auction held December 15, 1990, and a "Blues for the Bay" benefit concert held February 15, 1991.

In October 1990, Martin Keeley accepted a position as an executive member of the Boundary Bay Conservation Committee. He worked closely with them on matters pertaining to the Boundary Bay area, wetlands and other environmental concerns that were linked with the PRHPC and the FOBB.

By 1991, Martin Keeley was heavily invested in at least three environmental groups around the Boundary Bay area. He remained active in most of them until his leave in 1998/1999. Other organizations that were in direct contact with Martin Keeley were the Fraser Wetlands Committee (FWC), the Delta Naturalists Society (DNS), the Burns Bog Conservation Society (BBCS), the Nature Trust of British Columbia, the Western Canada Wilderness Committee, the Vancouver Natural History Society, the Tsawwassen Nature Park Society, the Surrey/White Rock Naturalists and the Puget Sounders.

In 1998, Martin Keeley began looking for a replacement for his position as Executive Director of the Friends of Boundary Bay. His other organizations had slowly given control to other people. By the end of 1998, he had replaced himself and began his departure for the Cayman Islands.

In 1999, following Keeley's departure, the Friends of Boundary Bay changed its name to the B.C. Wetlands Society to reflect its changing role in education and research involving wetlands ecosystems. By 2000-2001, the funding for the organization had significantly decreased and the organization's research and programs were integrated into other organizations duties.

Martin Keeley has continued his environmental activism following his move to the Cayman Islands in 1998. He taught environmental science at a college level in the Cayman Islands before he developed and implemented the Mangrove and Reef Curriculum with teachers, NGOs and Education Ministries worldwide. Martin has been International Education Director for the Mangrove Action Project (MAP) for 13 years, and will continue much of his work in that position. More information can be found at www.mangrovesandreefs.org.ky or through articles collected and placed in accession folders for 2010-029.

Mills, William
CR-68 · Person · 1895-1974

William Mills (1895-1974) was born in England and came to British Columbia in 1909 with his parents, Joseph (1862-1946) and Ethel Mary (1872-1953), three brothers (Charles, Allan and Arthur) and two sisters, and his uncle Harry Mills. Charles, Arthur and William enlisted to serve overseas in the First World War in 1915. Arthur died after returning home in 1919 of trench fever and influenza. William served in the Royal Canadian Army 47th Battalion and was wounded in 1917 by an exploding shell. After returning home to Ladner in 1919, he applied for a disability pension. William (Willie) worked as a gardener (his father was a gardener) and fisherman. He was very active in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Calvert, E.T.
CR-74 · Person · 1875-1940

Edward Theodore Calvert (1875-1940) was born in 1875 in Devon, England, immigrating to Canada in 1892. He settled first in Ontario, then Manitoba before taking up ranching near Pine Lake, Alberta in 1893. Edward married Euphemia May Robinson (1877 - 1964) in 1898. They had six children: Arthur (1899), Alex (1903), Godfrey (1905), Dorothy (1911), Barbara (1913) and Ruth (1914). In 1902 the Calvert family moved to Port Guichon in Delta where Mr. Calvert became agent for the Great Northern Railway and then started a business in Ladner. In 1914 E.T. Calvert was appointed the first customs agent at the new Boundary Bay customs office at the corner of 56 Street and 12 Avenue. Calvert patrolled the international boundary and adjacent areas, and at the time of his death in 1940 was the chief customs-excise examiner for Boundary Bay. Mr. Calvert actively participated in musical groups and events in Delta, being the first conductor for the Delta Choral Society. Among his many community services was serving as President of the Delta Board of Trade in 1936.

H.G. Sherriff Fonds
Canada · Person · April 20 to September 23, 1907

H.G. Sherriff and W. Phillip purchased a contract to clear land for E. Stuart Wood in Salmon Arm. During Sherriff's contracted time in Salmon Arm, he kept a meticulous diary that has been transcribed. The author kept track of his work fulfilling the contract by recording Wood's initials in the margins each time he worked for the landowner. Entries in J.D. McGuire's diaries confirm the dates and other work completed by Sherriff in the community.

Bellman, David
DBC · Person

CAUSA has been spearheaded and led by David Bellman is an art historian and independent research curator. Formerly Chief Curator of the McCord Museum (a McGill University / Montreal Museum of Fine Arts affiliate) and a former curatorial advisor to the Seagram Building and Collections (New York).

Bellman has conceived and developed curatorial projects in association with numerous North American and European institutions – including Belkin Satellite (University of British Columbia, Vancouver); Art Gallery of Ontario, the Royal Ontario Museum, York University (Toronto); Clare College (University of Cambridge); the Museum and Library of Freemasonry (London); and the Henry Moore Foundation (International Programme).

His professional writings have been published internationally and include associations with the Vancouver Art Gallery, York University, the Museum of Contemporary Art, Ghent (Belgium), the Museum Abteiburg Monchengladbach (Germany), Tate Gallery, the University of Liverpool, the National Library of Wales – Arts Magazine (New York), Revue d’art canadienne and the Canadian Art Review (Universities Art Association of Canada.

There is no biographical information available on David Bellman with respect to his date and place of birth.

George C. Wootton
DCA005 · Person · 1934 - ca. 2010

Dr. George C. Wootton served as principal of Douglas College from its inception in 1969 until 1979. Born in Saskatchewan and raised in British Columbia, Wootton graduated from North Vancouver High School and received his BSc, MASc, and PhD (in metallurgical engineering) from the University of British Columbia. Before his appointment to Douglas College, he worked for the Department of Mines in Ottawa, Atomic Energy Canada in Chalk River, and Seneca College in Toronto where served as Dean of Engineering.

During Wootton's tenure at Douglas College, satellite campuses were added in Delta, Langley, Maple Ridge, Port Moody, Coquitlam, Pitt meadows, and White Rock. His principalship saw the development of career programs in the area of psychiatric nursing, clinical health, child care, and community service work. Other programs initiated during this time were in the fields of criminal justice, women's studies, graphic arts, theatre, and environmental studies.

Wootton left Douglas College in 1979 to become director of the Vancouver Public Library.

Lillian Zimmerman
DCA011 · Person · ca. 1925 -

Lillian Zimmerman joined Douglas College in 1971 as a programmer for the Liberal Arts Division with the expressed desire to develop credit-free courses in the area of continuing education for women. Beginning in 1972, she worked with staff from the Counselling department to offer workshops and inter-disciplinary evening courses, which proved popular. In 1974, she was elected to the position of "Convenor" of Women's Studies at Douglas College. Zimmerman held this role until 1978 when she took a leave from College in order to complete a Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) from the University of British Columbia. Following her return to Douglas College, Zimmerman worked as a regular faculty member in Human Services and Community Programs. She became the Chair of Community Programs and Services in 1990 before retiring in 1991. Subsequent to her retirement from Douglas College, Zimmerman became a renowned advocate for the rights and dignity of middle-aged and older women. She was a Research Associate in Gender Issues at Simon Fraser University's Gerontology Research Centre, contributing significantly to the field and publishing multiple books on this topic including “Bag Lady or Powerhouse?: A Roadmap for Midlife (Boomer) Women” and “Did You Just Call Me Old Lady? A 90-Year-Old Tells Why Aging Is Positive.”

Margaretha Hoek
DCA012 · Person

Margaretha Hoek first joined the College in 1975 as a sessional faculty member in the Counselling Department, where she taught a number of courses and workshops focused on the issues and experiences of women. In 1978, Hoek was hired as Coordinator of Programs for Women (at times the position was also referred to as Coordinator of Women's Studies). She held this position until 1985.

Bill Day
DCA015 · Person · 1933 -

William (Bill) Day was among the first employees of Douglas College. Hired in 1970, he originally served as Dean of Continuing Education until 1975 when he became Dean of Curriculum. In 1978, he became principal of the College's New Westminster campus and in 1981 he was appointed President of Douglas College, a position he held until retiring in 1995.

Bill Morfey
DCA019 · Person · ca. 1925 - 1990

M.H. (Bill) Morfey was the College's first staff employee, hired in October 1969 as Secretary-Treasurer. His title and role changed to College Bursar shortly thereafter. Together with Principal George Wootton, Morfey was responsible for establishing the College's first education plan, hiring senior staff, and developing the first budget. Prior to joining the nascent educational institution, Morfey was an accountant with Canadian Industries Limited. He managed the College's financial affairs until his retirement in 1988. That year, the M.H. (Bill) Morfey Scholarship was created in honour of his service to the College since its very beginning.

Morfey died in January 1990.

Public Information Office
DCA020 · Person · 1970 - 1996

Since the college's opening in 1970 until a name change in the late 1990s, the Public Information Office (PIO) was responsible for promoting the institution both within the campus community and throughout the Lower Mainland. The PIO shared information about programming and events, working with the administration and other internal stakeholders to develop and promote the College's public image. The office produced advertisements, drafted speeches and press releases, designed posters and brochures, and publicized the accomplishments of faculty, staff, and students. William Bell led the PIO as Public Information Officer from the early 1970s until 1992. He was succeeded by Brad Barber.

In 1996, the Public Information Office became the Communications and Marketing Office.