Showing 2664 results

authority records
Corporate body

St. Eugene Mission

  • MS 23
  • Corporate body
  • 1874-1970

St. Eugene Mission, located north of Cranbrook, B.C., in the St. Mary's Valley was established in 1874 and devoted its time to the religious training and social welfare of the Kootenay Indians or Ktunaxa. After establishing the mission, Father Fouquet was succeeded by Father Nicolas Coccola, who remained until 1905. Through Coccola's encouragement, Pierre, a Ktunaxa, discovered the St. Eugene claim at Moyie, B.C., in 1894, the revenue from which was used to erect a Church at the Mission in 1898. The Indian Industrial School was founded in 1890 by Fr. Coccola. The Sisters of Providence taught in the school until 1929, and in 1936 the Sisters of Charity of Halifax arrived, and remained until 1970 when the St. Eugene Mission was closed. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate were stationed at St. Eugene Mission, devoting their time to various Kootenay communities and Ktunaxa reserves.

Fort Steele Heritage Town Archives

  • MS 23
  • Corporate body
  • 1963-

The Fort Steele Heritage Town Archives has been acquiring records since 1963, when the B.C. government established Fort Steele as a provincial park and historical site.

Fort Steele Restoration Foundation

  • MS 26
  • Corporate body
  • 1962-1972

The Fort Steele Restoration Foundation was formed in 1961 to "effect the restoration of Fort Steele as an historic site and to maintain, operate, and administer it as such". L.J. Wallace served as the first president. The foundation was dissolved in 1972 by order of the provincial government.

Fraser Basin Council

  • MS 26 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 2003-

The Fraser River is at the heart of British Columbia. This is the longest river within BC — stretching nearly 1,400 km from the Rockies to the Salish Sea.
One of the world’s most important salmon rivers, the Fraser has been impacted by over a century of population growth and development. By the 1980s, alarm bells were ringing over the fast pace of industrial activity, urbanization and pollution from various sources. The health of the river was in jeopardy. Although the situation seemed bleak, environmental management agencies believed the river could recover if steps were taken.

One “watershed moment” came when Gordon Campbell, then Mayor of Vancouver, and John Backhouse, then Mayor of Prince George, challenged each other to "clean up their parts of the river." The joint challenge reminded everyone of the efforts needed all along the Fraser River and across jurisdictional boundaries.

Fraser River Action Plan
In 1990 the Government of Canada identified the Fraser River Basin as a major freshwater system requiring priority action. From Canada's Green Plan came the Fraser River Action Plan (FRAP). Jointly sponsored by the federal Departments of the Environment and Fisheries and Oceans, FRAP was modelled on the Fraser River Estuary Management Program (FREMP), which was helping create inter-agency cooperation on estuary management.

FRAP made a good start on restoring the environmental health of the Fraser River and the Basin. The program encouraged collective stewardship and cooperative partnerships, and helped people understand how their actions could improve (or harm) watershed health. FRAP protected wild bird habitat, curtailed the release of toxic wood preservatives, and helped introduce some best management practices and pollution prevention plans for business and industry.

FBC’s Predecessor — Fraser Basin Management Board
The Fraser Basin Management Board was created in 1992 to address some of the river management issues identified in the Fraser River Action Plan. The FBMB was composed of representatives from the four orders of Canadian government (federal, provincial, municipal and First Nations), along with those from the private sector and civil society.
Over its five-year mandate, the FBMB demonstrated the value of leaders working together in collaboration on complex issues. In brief, FBMB:
• shared “who does what” in the Fraser Basin
• created stronger connections among agencies
• identified priority sustainability issues
• launched eight demonstration projects for watershed restoration with multi-interest bodies:
o Salmon River Watershed Roundtable (Thompson/Salmon Arm)
o Nicola Watershed Community Roundtable (Thompson/Merritt)
o Salmon River Watershed Management (Lower Fraser/Langley)
o Nahatlatch Integrated Resource Management Plan (Fraser Valley/Canyon)
o Prince George Riverfront Trails Project (Upper Fraser/Prince George)
o Williams Lake River Valley Corridor Project (Cariboo-Chilcotin/Williams Lake)
o Alouette River Watershed Project (Fraser Valley/Maple Ridge)
o Baker Creek Enhancement (Cariboo-Chilcotin/Quesnel).

In addition to these legacy projects, a key outcome was a strategic plan for the social, economic and environmental health of the Basin. This plan became the Charter for Sustainability. The principles of the Charter remain a cornerstone of FBC’s work today.

Vision
Social well-being supported by a vibrant economy and sustained by a healthy environment.

The Fraser Basin Council (FBC) is a charitable non-profit organization that brings people together to advance sustainability in the Fraser River Basin and throughout BC. Established in 1997, FBC is a collaboration of four orders of government (federal, provincial, local and First Nations) along with those from the private sector and civil society. We work with people in multiple sectors, helping them find collaborative solutions to today’s issues through a commitment to the social, economic and environmental dimensions of sustainability. Our focus is on healthy water and watersheds, action on climate change and air quality and strong, resilient communities and regions.

Credit: https://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/about_fbc_history.html

Granite Creek Fish Hatchery

  • MS 27 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1900-1916

In 1900 the Dominion Government of Canada established its second fish hatchery in the Province of BC at Tappen. The Granite Creek Fish Hatchery was constructed at the mouth of Granite Creek as it emptied into the northwest corner of Tappen Bay on Shuswap Lake. David (Scottie) Mitchell was the appointed manager of the project and remained until its closure in 1916.

A large two-storey frame hatchery building was erected and Granite Creek ran through the hatchery. Salmon Eggs were gathered by a government steam boat from weirs around Shuswap Lake, on the Seymour River at Anstey Arm, at Scotch Creek, and wherever a creek or river of any size emptied into Shuswap Lake. These eggs were delivered to the hatchery and allowed to develop in wire mesh baskets especially made for the purpose. When the salmon grew to fingerling size they were released into the lake.

Trout eggs were also collected at the same time as the salmon roe. After they were fertilized and developed, the young trout would be put into milk cans, loaded onto the train at Tappen Station and distributed by rail or forestry trucks to little lakes all over the mountains.

The rock slide at Hell’s Gate, a result of the construction of the Canadian National Railroad in 1913 and a subsequent slide in 1914, effectively blocked returning salmon from making their way up to spawn in the Shuswap. When fish ladders were built in the 1920s, salmon migration up the Fraser River was encouraged once more.

During most of its active years, the hatchery employed a dozen men year-round. Spring and summer were the busiest times. After the enterprise was abandoned, the buildings were demolished and the lumber re-used.

The old timers recall the hatchery and related social activities which took place. Superintendent Scottie Mitchell planted a beautiful garden around the hatchery. An open field beside the facility hosted many picnics and sporting events. Social events continued to be held on-site long after the hatchery was closed.

Big Shuswap Tourism Committee

  • MS 3 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1985-

The Big Shuswap Tourism Committee was created to promote tourism in the Shuswap. The committee is currently called Tourism Shuswap. It operates a website that promotes events and tourism in the Shuswap.

Jacques Jewellers

  • MS 300
  • Corporate body
  • 1889-2007

Jacques Jewellers was the first jewellery and watch repair shop established in the Okanagan Valley. The shop was founded by Frederick Bainton "Fred" Jacques and his wife Hannah Maria "Annie" Jacques (nee Reeve). Fred Jacques was born in Flesherton, Ontario on September 5, 1865 to Methodist Reverend George Jacques and Sophia Jacques (nee Hind) of Lincolnshire, England. The Jacques family were descendants of French Huguenots and retained the French spelling of their surname, but the pronunciation was adapted to "Jakes" in England.
Fred apprenticed as a jeweller, clock and watch maker in Toronto in 1885. There he met Annie while rooming in the same boarding house on Church Street. The couple married on December 19th 1889 in Calgary. Soon after their wedding Fred left for British Columbia, leaving Annie in Calgary until he had found a place for them to settle. After no luck in Vancouver, Fred settled in Enderby in 1890. He set up his first workbench in the Enderby hotel lobby, where Annie soon joined him. They relocated to Vernon two years later, as expansion of the Canadian Pacific Railway promised greater prosperity for Vernon. Fred rented a store (present-day 3200 block of Barnard) as the first location of F.B. Jacques Jewellers. Fred also worked as a CPR watch inspector, and performed weekly maintenance on the Vernon city clock (which can be seen on display in the Vernon museum). In 1894, the family bought and began construction on a new, permanent store location in the 3100 block of Barnard Avenue.
The new shop consisted of a storefront, run by Annie, and a watch, clock, and jewellery repair in the back where Fred worked. The merchandise sold included old clocks, tie pins, rings, and watches. As business grew, the shop evolved to include more types of clocks, pottery, glassware, and silverware. The upstairs, originally the family's apartment, was converted into additional store space to accommodate the growing collection. The family moved to a new home on 32nd street.
In 1921 Fred's youngest and only son, George Jacques, became a partner in the business at age twenty-one. The store was renamed F.B. Jacques and Son Jewellers in celebration. Fred soon retired from the store, though continued his work as a CPR inspector until his death. Fred Jacques died in 1938 and the store became the sole property of George. George, having no children, was assisted by Don Harwood, whom his father had hired right out of high school in 1936. In 1947 Charles "Chuck" Troyer was hired and the two men became associates in the business alongside George. The store was renovated in 1953 over the course of 15 weeks to enlarge and remodel.
George died in 1963. Don and Chuck purchased the store as co-owners, and it was eventually renamed to simply "Jacques Jewellers." The shop continued to prosper, and Chuck was placed in charge of the dinnerware and table settings for Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Vernon in 1963.
Ownership of the store was passed on to Don's daughter Kathryn "Kath" Harwood and Michael Gorman, a nephew of George and grandson of Fred. Kath eventually purchased Jacques Jewellers outright in 2002. Five years later, in 2007, Kath retired and chose to close the store for good. She had worked there for thirty years. Jacques Jewellers was in business for one hundred and eighteen years.

Jacques Jewellers

  • MS 300
  • Corporate body
  • 1889-2007

Jacques Jewellers was the first jewellery and watch repair shop established in the Okanagan Valley. The shop was founded by Frederick Bainton "Fred" Jacques and his wife Hannah Maria "Annie" Jacques (nee Reeve). Fred Jacques was born in Flesherton, Ontario on September 5, 1865 to Methodist Reverend George Jacques and Sophia Jacques (nee Hind) of Lincolnshire, England. The Jacques family were descendants of French Huguenots and retained the French spelling of their surname, but the pronunciation was adapted to "Jakes" in England.
Fred apprenticed as a jeweller, clock and watch maker in Toronto in 1885. There he met Annie while rooming in the same boarding house on Church Street. The couple married on December 19th 1889 in Calgary. Soon after their wedding Fred left for British Columbia, leaving Annie in Calgary until he had found a place for them to settle. After no luck in Vancouver, Fred settled in Enderby in 1890. He set up his first workbench in the Enderby hotel lobby, where Annie soon joined him. They relocated to Vernon two years later, as expansion of the Canadian Pacific Railway promised greater prosperity for Vernon. Fred rented a store (present-day 3200 block of Barnard) as the first location of F.B. Jacques Jewellers. Fred also worked as a CPR watch inspector, and performed weekly maintenance on the Vernon city clock (which can be seen on display in the Vernon museum). In 1894, the family bought and began construction on a new, permanent store location in the 3100 block of Barnard Avenue.
The new shop consisted of a storefront, run by Annie, and a watch, clock, and jewellery repair in the back where Fred worked. The merchandise sold included old clocks, tie pins, rings, and watches. As business grew, the shop evolved to include more types of clocks, pottery, glassware, and silverware. The upstairs, originally the family's apartment, was converted into additional store space to accommodate the growing collection. The family moved to a new home on 32nd street.
In 1921 Fred's youngest and only son, George Jacques, became a partner in the business at age twenty-one. The store was renamed F.B. Jacques and Son Jewellers in celebration. Fred soon retired from the store, though continued his work as a CPR inspector until his death. Fred Jacques died in 1938 and the store became the sole property of George. George, having no children, was assisted by Don Harwood, whom his father had hired right out of high school in 1936. In 1947 Charles "Chuck" Troyer was hired and the two men became associates in the business alongside George. The store was renovated in 1953 over the course of 15 weeks to enlarge and remodel.
George died in 1963. Don and Chuck purchased the store as co-owners, and it was eventually renamed to simply "Jacques Jewellers." The shop continued to prosper, and Chuck was placed in charge of the dinnerware and table settings for Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Vernon in 1963.
Ownership of the store was passed on to Don's daughter Kathryn "Kath" Harwood and Michael Gorman, a nephew of George and grandson of Fred. Kath eventually purchased Jacques Jewellers outright in 2002. Five years later, in 2007, Kath retired and chose to close the store for good. She had worked there for thirty years. Jacques Jewellers was in business for one hundred and eighteen years.

University Women's Club - Vernon

  • MS 302
  • Corporate body
  • 1965-present

The University Women’s Club - Vernon is a chapter with the Canadian Federation of University Women, which was founded in Canada in 1919. The CFUW is part of the International Federation of University Women. Founded following the industry boom of World War I, the CFUW advocates and takes action on advancing the statuses of women in both professional and private life. Dedicated to the advancement of inclusive and accessible education for women, they also encourage lifelong learning through adult education and assisting those in poverty. Club members are expected to apply their unique sets of skills in the public life on both a national and international scale. The Vernon chapter was founded in 1965.
CFUW Vernon currently possesses approximately fifty members between Vernon and Salmon Arm, eight of whom are elected to the club Board. The club meets every month to discuss current projects and welcome new members. In addition, the executive board meets once per month and the club hosts an Annual General Meeting (AGM). Their fiscal year lasts from May 1st to April 30th the following year. Membership is open to any women who embody CFUW’s mandates. Membership fees are $90 per year, or a discounted $40 per year for students.
The organization played a pivotal role in the establishment of the Okanagan College Vernon campus, bringing accessible higher education to the North Okanagan. Presently, CFUW Vernon offers two $1500 annual scholarships to female Okanagan College students. As CFUW encourages lifelong learning, the club also helped establish and sponsor the annual or bi-annual Capsule College event. Capsule College is a series of public lectures offered in conjunction with Okanagan College Department of Adult Education. The Vernon chapter also provides support for the Women’s Transition House each Christmas. Operated entirely by volunteers, fundraisers and events are often held to assist in sponsoring their projects.

Salmon Arm Irrigation Committee

  • MS 32 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1930-1932

An Irrigation Committee meeting was called September 27, 1930 by farmers interested in establishing an irrigation system. Salmon Arm orchardists, concerned for the viability of fruit farming in the district, organized to lobby the province of British Columbia for funding. In low rainfall months, lack of water created small, low grade fruit which was unsuitable for the wholesale market. The meeting took place at the Women's Institute Hall. Consulting Engeineers were hired. Studies were compelted on Fly and Larch Hills.

Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire. Agnes Hudson Chapter (Salmon Arm, B.C.)

  • MS 33 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1946-1965

The Agnes Hudson Chapter of the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire was based in Salmon Arm, B.C. The group organized on April 3, 1947. Mrs. R.J. Sprott, of Vancouver, presented the charter as the provincial organizing secretary.

The organization was named for Agnes Hudson, a pioneer of Salmon Arm. Mrs. Sarah Agnes Hudson McGuire owned and operated McGuire's General Store and an eating establishment in Salmon Arm at the turn of the century.

Charter members were Mrs. John Boydell, Mrs. A.B. Ritchie, Miss A.M. Day, Mrs. G.S.M. Larder, Mrs. A. Bedford, Mrs. Frank Burne, Mrs. Robert Turner, Mrs. David Johnson, Mrs. Don Cameron, Miss Gertrude Bennett, Mrs. Frank Marshall, Mrs. K.A. Hunter, Mrs. Stuart C. Elliot, Mrs. C.R. Barlow, Mrs. E. Belli-Bivar, Mrs. E. Dettelbach, Mrs. S.M. Edgar, Mrs. J.R. Graham, Mrs. E. Max Ladner, Mrs. Rex Lingford, Mrs. W.H. Preston, Mrs. G.P. Sharpe and Mrs. W.E. Whitlock.

The parent body, a national concern, was established earlier in 1900 as the largest voluntary, patriotic, non-sectarian, non-partisan, and philanthropic women's organization in Canada. Its motto was "One Flag, One Throne, One Empire".

According to IODE literature, some of the aims of the national organization were to: stimulate patriotism, foster unity in the Empire, assist the youth in Canada in furthering their education, give aid, in peace and war, to men and women of the services and to dependents of ex-service personnel, promote high citizenship among all citizens, British and "foreign born", and cherish the memory of brave and heroic deeds.

Projects undertaken in Salmon Arm were to: send two food parcels every month to Great Britain, sponsor a fashion show, supply indigent parents with clothing, milk and bottles, contribute to the Manitoba Flood Relief, donate to Queen Mary's carpet, subscribe to Westminster Abbey Fund, showed films at a nursing home, place a wreath on Cenotaph yearly, donate to Cancer and Arthritic Societies yearly, donate to Flood Relief Lowlands of Europe, sent three Christmas parcel/year overseas, provide linen to Salmon Arm General Hospital, parade for Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip, 1951 and the Viscount and Lady Alexander, distribute 100 flags among school children, donate trees to the new High School Grounds, knit for Koreans and Save the Children Fund, provide picture frames for 9 silk prints and 8 paintings by Canadian artists, and raise funds by bake sales, musicals, bridge and card parties, and garden parties.

Fort Steele Brewing Company

  • MS 35
  • Corporate body
  • 1898-[1920]

The Fort Steele Brewery was started by Fritz Sick after he arrived in Fort Steele in 1898. It was situated on the west side of the Kootenay River across from the town of Fort Steele. Fritz and his son Emil went on to establish breweries in twelve towns in Canada and the United States. The Fort Steele Brewing Company was earlier known as the Kaiser and Sick Brewery.

Kamloops Farmers' Institute

  • MS 35 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1998-1916

The Kamloops Farmers' Institute was established in Salmon Arm on March 15, 1898 as a men's lobby group that also purchased cheap, bulk land clearing powder. The Farmers' Institute was a province wide organization , fostered by government and received funding in the form of a government grant. The group was also active in areas outlying Salmon Arm.

Officers elected included C.B. Harris, Joseph Harbell, S.M. McGuire, Wm McLeod, Robert Turner, A.J. Palmer, John Mead, A. Noble (Kamloops). Membership was combined with the Kamloops Farmers' Institute and that part of the organization held fifteen members on its roster. Salmon Arm contributed 65 members.

When the name of the organization became known as Salmon Arm Farmers' Institute is unclear.

In 1913, Robert Turner was the secretary of the Farmers' Institute and custodian of the stumping powder. The sound of blasting was common in the Valley. When W.W. 1 was declared, the Salmon Arm Farmers' Institute had stockpiled two carloads of stumping powder and a partial carload of dynamite.

Kinsmen Club of Salmon Arm

  • MS 37 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1944-2001

The Kinsmen Club of Salmon Arm was founded in 1944 with twenty-seven charter members. It focussed on fellowship, service to others and the community.

The club was an active community player and sponsored many local projects. These projects included the adult oxygen tent for the hospital, landscaping at Rotary Village, the school Boy Patrol wading pool and playground equipment at Fletcher Park, lawn bowling greens, roofing and a public address system for the first arena, a Little League Pall Park, the McGuire Lake Fountain, a water softening system program, the Milk for Britain project, the Kinsmen Mothers March, Kin Bus, the Halloween bonfire, Kin Park, playground equipment in Canoe, Seniors Heritage Bingo and a commitment to the Community Centre.

About 1968 the Kinsmen Club purchased a building from the South Canoe Women's Institute on Auto Rd. S.E. Salmon Arm. They made renovtions, landscaped and installed playground equipment, and later donated the hall to First Salmon Arm Scouts.

In 1971, after being approached by the Family Court Committee, the Kinsmen Club of Salmon Arm accepted the responsibility to build a house which would establish a Receiving and Remand Home in Salmon Arm to provide short-term accommodation for children who were wards of the court. The home was opened in 1974 and operated until 2001.

When the Kinsmen Club of Salmon Arm disbanded in 2001, its assets were dispersed to other community projects.

Kinsmen Club of Salmon Arm

  • MS 37 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1944-2001

The Kinsmen Club of Salmon Arm was founded in 1944 with twenty-seven charter members. It focussed on fellowship, service to others and the community.

The club was an active community player and sponsored many local projects. These projects included the adult oxygen tent for the hospital, landscaping at Rotary Village, the school Boy Patrol wading pool and playground equipment at Fletcher Park, lawn bowling greens, roofing and a public address system for the first arena, a Little League Pall Park, the McGuire Lake Fountain, a water softening system program, the Milk for Britain project, the Kinsmen Mothers March, Kin Bus, the Halloween bonfire, Kin Park, playground equipment in Canoe, Seniors Heritage Bingo and a commitment to the Community Centre.

About 1968 the Kinsmen Club purchased a building from the South Canoe Women's Institute on Auto Rd. S.E. Salmon Arm. They made renovtions, landscaped and installed playground equipment, and later donated the hall to First Salmon Arm Scouts.

In 1971, after being approached by the Family Court Committee, the Kinsmen Club of Salmon Arm accepted the responsibility to build a house which would establish a Receiving and Remand Home in Salmon Arm to provide short-term accommodation for children who were wards of the court. The home was opened in 1974 and operated until 2001.

When the Kinsmen Club of Salmon Arm disbanded in 2001, its assets were dispersed to other community projects.

Canada. East Kootenay Meteorological Office

  • MS 4
  • Corporate body
  • 1896-1915

Three of the station of the Meteorological Office of the Government of Canada were located in the East Kootenay, BC. The observer at the three stations was Michael Phillipps.

Ladies Orange Benevolent Association. Shuswap Lodge 473 (Salmon Arm, B.C.)

  • MS 40 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1922-1968

The Swastika Lodge 473 of the Ladies Orange Benevolent Association was organized in 1922 as the womens group affiliated with the male organization, Loyal Orange Lodge. The L.O.L. organization had purchased a building from John Johnston, remodeling the auction rooms upstairs into Lodge Rooms and the downstairs into a hall. The Lodge was situated on Palmer Street.(151 Trans Canada NE).

The Swastika Lodge's primary purpose was to raise money to maintain the childrens home in New Westminster. The women also purchased material and sewed clothing to order, sending the requested clothing to the orphanage each year.

The hall was used for wedding receptions, meetings, bridal showers and small dances. During the 1920's a weekly whist drive happened each Monday, excepting the summer months. Twenty hands of progressive whist were played, accompanied by a lavish supper and prizes. After whist concluded, an hour of dancing took place, to the accompaniment of a violin and piano. The cost of the evening was fifty cents. During the depression the cost of admission was reduced to twenty-five cents. Although the event raised less money, it was continued as a service to the young people of the community.

The parade on the twelfth of July was a highlight for all Lodges in the area. In 1931 Salmon Arm hosted the event. Kamloops, Armstrong, Vernon, and Kelowna Lodge members gathered at the Orange Hall, and were led through Salmon Arm by a high ranking officer on a white horse. In 1941 the group changed its name to Shuswap Lodge 473.

Fort Steele Public School

  • MS 41
  • Corporate body
  • 1897-[1950]

The ratepayers of the Fort Steele School Board held their first meeting 17 June 1897 to elect three trustees: R.L Galbraith, H.H. Barnes, and T.T. McVittie. A site for the schoolhouse was chosen that year. Mr. F. Smith was appointed principal in 1899 and Miss Jessie Nicholson was appointed teacher in 1905. By 1933, two teachers, Miss Cairns and Miss Tully were employed.

Fort Steele Hospital Board

  • MS 42
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-[1930]

The Fort Steele Hospital (Royal Diamond Jubilee Hospital) Board members met in April 1912 to request $2000 from the provincial government. In December 1912, a meeting was held to discuss the advisability of opening the hospital, fundraising, and election of 10 board members. R.L.T. Galbraith was the first chairman of the board. In February 1913, $5000 was requested from the provincial government. Disputes with Cranbrook arose about the viability of the hospital. Further help from the government in the form of a per capita grant was requested 13 July 1913. Dr. Maxwell was hired 13 February 1913, but resigned in August of the same year.

MacKay and Currie (Firm)

  • MS 42 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1905-1907

Murdoch MacKay and Samuel Henderson Currie were business partners in Salmon Arm from 1905-1907, where they operated the MacKay and Currie General Store on Front Street. The store was purchased in 1907 and operated by R.K. Scales. About 1912, the building was taken over by S.A.F.E., the retail arm of the Salmon Arm Farmers Exchange Limited, a co-operative store until the 1956.

Murdoch MacKay was manager of S.A.F.E.until 1945. Murdoch MacKay, b.1868 in Scotland, emigrated to Canada in 1888 and followed the construction of the CPR to Donald, BC, where he met and married the sister of Samuel Currie in 1892.

Both MacKay and Currie were keenly interested in the community life of Salmon Arm and were active in municipal government.

British Columbia. Agricultural Commission

  • MS 43
  • Corporate body
  • [1912-1915]

The Agricultural Commission toured British Columbia to investigate farming and fruit growing conditions in the province. Interviews were made with individual farmers and orchardists. Between 1913 and [1914] visits were made to Cranbrook, Wasa, Windermere, Wilmer, Golden, Revelstoke, Balfour, and Creston.

Meeres Photographic and Art Studio

  • MS 44 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Corporate body
  • 1939 -1968

George Albert Meeres [1884-1972] was born in England and attended school in Grimely. He immigrated to Canada in 1907. He worked in Binscarth, Manitobe before joining Mr. Lawrence to form the Lawrence and Meeres Photo Studio. For the enxt 25 years he made custom greeting cards, postcards, and portrait photographs.

Meeres movd to Nelson, BC in 1925, where he joined the Campbell Art and Photo Studio. In Nelson he became interested in watercolour photography and continued to sketch, paint and develop photographs.

Meeres purchased the Mara Store in 1926. He built a small photo lab at the back of the store and developed photographs for local people while Chris Klit managed the general store in the front. Meers toured the area, taking photographs of people, places and local events that interested him. Man

Meeres moved to Vernon in 1939, purchasing the Ribelin Photo Studio. He operated Meeres' Photographic and Art Studio in Vernon from 1940 to 1968, specializing in portraits, wedding photos, and hand colouring. His motto was "A good photograph or none". He was the organist at the Anglican Church, an accomplished watercolour artist, and was well known for his sense of humour. He died in Vernon in 1972 at the age of 94.

Cowell & Wallinger (Firm)

  • MS 45
  • Corporate body
  • 1895-1900

Cowell & Wallinger recorded assays of gold, silver, copper, lead, iron ore, and sulphur dioxide at Golden, Fort Steele, and the North Star Mine at Kimberley, B.C. from 1895-1900.

Results 151 to 175 of 2664