Showing 30 results

authority records
Tapson-Jones, John
MS 101 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1896-1977

John Tapson-Jones [1896-1977] was born in 1896 and completed his Senior Matriculation at the University of Cambridge at the age of 16. Tapson-Jones immigrated to Calgary, joining his brother in 1914. He applied to and joined the Royal North West Mounted Police, serving in Fort Macleod, Alberta.

Tapson-Jones served in southern Alberta and BC. He married Amy in 1916. In 1917 he enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force and served in England and France. Upon returning to Canada, Tapson-Jones resumed police work, but served the Alberta Provincial Police.

He married Amy [1893-1951], the daughter of the Mayor of Coleman. The couple had two children, Herb and David.

Tapson-Jones was promoted to the position of Inspector in 1934 and as an instructor at the RCMP barracks in Regina in 1936. After 26 years of service he retired. The family moved to Lakeshore in Salmon Arm. Amy died of cancer in 1951.

While attending UBC, son David died in 1942 with an infection subsequent to an appendicitis attack. The elder son Herb died tragically in a plane crash while working for Trans-Canada Air in 1946. Following the deaths of his sons, coupled with failing health and poor orcharding conditions of the Big Freeze in 1950, the Tapson-Jones sold the orchard and moved to Canoe Point. Amy became ill and died in 1951.

Tapson-Jones married neighbor Mary-Lou Woods in 1952. The couple had a twenty-five year marriage. Mary-Lou Tapson-Jones is the author of the book, Perilous Charmers.

John Tapson-Jones was author many articles on Shuswap history published in the Salmon Arm Observer.

George Fleming Wilcox
MS 109 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1888-1978

George Fleming Wilcox (b. 1888 - d. 1978) was born March 21 in Virden, Manitoba. He moved to Salmon Arm with his family in 1907 and established the Wilcox Nurseries.

Wilcox homesteaded the E 1/2 of the NE Quarter of Section 25 T 20 R10 W6, and completed his letters patent September 19, 1908. He was listed in the UBC Special Collections Directories as a farmer in 1910.

He married Estelle Leafy Groat in 1914 with whom he adopted one daughter, Betty. Estelle died in 1933 and George remarried in 1947. He wed Edith Scott, who brought two sons into the marriage, Sydney and Cecil.

According to Mary Wetherill (nee Ritchie) George approached her parents for a loan in the 1930s as he was unable to pay his taxes. As such he was $100 short of keeping the farm. The Ritchie’s offered their savings for their winter supply of wood heat ($50) and asked that he make up the difference. Unfortunately, he failed to do so and lost the farm. The Peterson Brothers then acquired the property in a tax sale. After losing the farm, Wilcox moved to Oliver and established a nursery branch there.

Wilcox was widely known for his abilities as a horticulturalist, with a specialty in tulip varieties. He was also a successful teacher of the orchard technique of budding. Other organizations that he was involved in included the Broadview Ski Club and the Social and Dramatic Club (also known as the Dancer Club).

Marshall, Denis Paul
MS 117 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1933-2011

Denis Paul Marshall was born on April 5th 1933, to Frank and Laura Marshall. Frank and Laura Marshall bought the Salmon Arm Observer in 1944 and Denis began working at the paper in 1953. When his father Frank passed away in 1964, Denis took over as publisher and kept the position until he sold the paper in 1976. Denis worked at documenting local history by writing three books about Salmon Arm: Fleeting Images, Photographic Memories and Historic Routes. Denis wrote a fourth book called Sawdust Caesars about the logging and lumber industry in the Interior. His also served as editor of the Okanagan Historical Society’s annual report for five years. His other interests were skiing, hiking, and his camp on Shuswap Lake.

Our interest in Denis Marshall is a result of his dedication to documenting local history and his support of the archives at the Salmon Arm Museum and Heritage Association.

Denis passed away on October 8th 2011, at the age of 78. Denis was married to his wife Joan for 40 years and left behind three daughters: Linda, Tannis, Pamela and three grandchildren.

Turner, Ronald Hudson
MS 122 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1913-2013

Ronald Hudson Turner was one of the sons in the R. Turner and Sons Ltd. business in Salmon Arm BC. He was born in Salmon Arm in 1913 to Robert and Maude (McGuire) Turner, who were early residents involved in the orchard industry. With his brother Edward “Eddie” Charles, Ronald Turner remained active in the orchard business but he also worked as a surveyor in the province.

In 1946, Ronald married June Lillian Gillis from Sicamous and they then had a son, Robert Gerald Turner, and daughters, Glenna Harriet and Janice Louise.

After the death of his father in 1950, Ronald and Eddie Turner carried on the R. Turner and Sons Ltd. business. It was becoming more involved with real estate transactions as the orchard business declined following the “Big Freeze” of 1950. After the death of Eddie Turner, this business continued with other family members, including Eddie’s widow, Eileen.

Ronald remained living on Turner orchard property until his death in 2013.

Meek, Mary Fawcett
MS 128 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1903-1987

Mary Fawcett resided in Salmon Arm. She was a teacher in the area and was photographed with many teacher friends. She married Michael Meek and had no children.

Johnston, Gladys M.
MS 135 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1906-1983

Gladys Marie Foster Johnston was born in Birch Hills near Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. Her parents, William and Catherine Isabella Harriet Foster, acquired W. Armstrong’s farm in Silver Creek in November, 1907. The Fosters had five children: Harvey, Charlie, Jenny, Gladys and Dorothy. Seaman Harvey Foster died in 1918 in Halifax Harbour.

At age 19, Gladys Foster returned to Prince Albert, SK and took a painting class in Saskatoon. In 1926 she married Ernest Johnston (1881-1968) from Sheffield, England, twenty-four years her senior. Ernest Johnston had a homestead in the Cariboo. No record of Johnston’s homestead has been found in Western Land Grant database.

The Johnstons had 3 sons: Harvey Norquay, Laurence and William.

Gladys Johnston helped support the family by writing, painting, housekeeping, and child minding for others. She literally pedalled her paintings door-to-door, travelling by bicycle and charging $5 to $15 a piece for them. Later in life she took a short course in nursing at U.B.C. and ran a small nursing home in Salmon Arm. Gladys’ interests also included reading tea cups and playing piano for services at St. John’s Anglican Church in Salmon Arm. She died in 1983.

Gladys Johnston’s work was shown at the Vancouver Art Gallery three times. She was also “discovered” by artist Chris Cran. In 1988 he co-curated an art show with Patricia Ainslie at the Glenbow in Calgary. 53 pieces of Gladys’ art were shown with her sons, grandchildren and great-grandchildren all in attendance for the opening.

McEwen, Margaret
MS 137 · Person · 1922-1981

Margaret Ivy McEwen was born July 11, 1922 to George and Daisy McEwen and raised on a small farm in Grindrod, B.C. Her parents had two more children, Donald and Duncan. When Margaret was six years old, her mother, Daisy, was pregnant with a fourth child and suddenly died. Margaret’s bother Donald McEwen wrote about the tragedy.

“Dad had a job rafting cedar poles from Enderby to Mara for the piling for the bridge. He wasn’t able to get home until late. Mom went to get the cows pasturing...... She had difficulty with them, and tripped in a gopher hole and fell. She was expecting another child, had complications and passed away.” (Oct. 21, 1928)

“In May of 1929 our Aunt Ivy came from [Hampstead, London] England to look after the family. They were married within six months.”

George and Ivy married on August 19, 1929 in Vernon, B.C. and by all accounts Ivy was a loving mother to the three children. Ivy passed away in 1948 and George passed away in 1972.

Margaret attended the school of nursing at Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria in 1942 and graduated in 1944. She found work at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton, but took a six month leave to nurse her stepmother who was failing. At that time Margaret met Robert (Bob) Douglas Jackson from the Mt. Ida District, Salmon Arm, and the couple were married May 18, 1948. The Jacksons had five children: Barbara, Margaret Elizabeth (Betty), Douglas Ian, and twins Garth and Gordon. All the children were born at the Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops. Gordon and Garth were premature and Gordon passed away at the age of one month.

While raising her family and working on the farm, Margaret continued to nurse, initially providing homecare to people who needed help. Soon she was asked to come in to work in the hospital when extra help was needed. This became a full time job that she enjoyed. Margaret Jackson died February 26, 2011. Robert (Bob) died December 18, 1990.

Herald, Dr. Dundas
MS 140 · Person · 1870-1951

Dr. Dundas Herald, son of Rev. James Herald, was born at Dundas, Ontario in 1870 and was awarded his medical degree at Queen’s University in 1891. Dundas and his brother Wilson registered with the BC College of Physicians within the year. Both brothers practiced in Vancouver before Wilson moved to Ashcroft, BC and Dundas moved to Quesnelle Forks in the Cariboo. After 1901 the brothers established a cattle ranch at Medicine Hat, Alberta.

In 1905 Dundas married Edith Phyllis Grant and their children Jessie Edith (1905 ) and James Barclay [Buster] (1907) were born in Medicine Hat. A third child, Arthur Dundas, was born in Salmon Arm in 1909.

Edith Phyllis Grant was born October 18, 1875 to Joseph and Anne Grant (nee Schroder) at Corona, Ontario. Her family moved to Walsh, Alberta in 1900 to ranch.

In 1906 the Heralds purchased “Bonny Bray” a 160-acre farm and home from John Reinecker near Sunnybrae and moved to the Shuswap. Dundas Herald never practiced medicine in the Shuswap.

The Heralds lived in isolation. Children Buster, Arthur, and Jessie were educated by their father at home and without the guidance of a school curriculum.

The family raised Jersey cows and took their milk across the lake every two or three days. They also made butter for sale – 70 to 80 pounds a week. Power for churning the cream into butter was provided by a water wheel. The Herald family picked and shipped cherries and raspberries for a few years, but gave that up and concentrated their efforts growing hay.

Dundas Herald died in 1951 and was survived by his wife and children. Their Sunnybrae property was sold to the provincial government and became a park in 1975.

Gordon Priestman
MS 146 · Person · 1936-2003

According to his obituary, long time Salmon Arm Observer editor Gordon (Gord) Priestman was born, August 4, 1936, and raised in Toronto and Muskoka, Ont.

After completing his education, Gordon travelled in industrial sales for several years, freelance writing as a sideline. In 1964 he moved to British Columbia and, after a brief stay in Vancouver, accepted a post as reporter/editor for the Merritt Herald. A year-and-a-half later he became editor of the Powell River News in addition to two smaller papers.

The family moved to Salmon Arm April 1, 1967 when Gordon became editor of the Salmon Arm Observer, a position he was to hold for most of the next 33 years. During that period his column, “Observations,” was a popular feature and both the paper and Gordon were recipients of a number of newspaper industry awards.

A lifelong Social Democrat, he took a leave of absence to run for the NDP Party in the 1986 provincial election. He then returned to the Observer, retiring for health reasons in December 1998.

Gordon was always interested in the arts—writing, music and painting. He loved the outdoors, including camping, canoeing and observing nature. Until middle years he was active in a number of sports. He was involved with numerous local organizations, was a member of the Salmar Community Association, was a life member of the Fall Fair Society and a director of the Shuswap Community Foundation.

Gordon died August 4, 2003. He was survived by Faye Fawcett, his wife and companion of 19 years, his three children and his beloved pets.

Ruth Adair Peterson
MS 148 · Person · 1921-2008

When Ruth Adair Peterson (nee Brooke) died August 1, 2008 in Reno, Nevada, a succession of remarkable events repatriated to Salmon Arm a collection of significant paintings which celebrate a lovely story, a loving family, and its community.

More than three hundred paintings by Ruth’s father, Arthur Adair Brooke, were found under her bed wrapped in a cotton pillow slip and tied with a green ribbon. They came “home”. The one-of-a-kind collection was archival in every sense of the word. It spanned an important period of time and documented rural life in the Mt. Ida District of Salmon Arm.

Ruth’s story begins in 1921. Life on the Brookes’ farm, Asterfield, was unexpectedly interrupted with her birth. She was a fourth child and the first daughter to middle aged parents Arthur Adair and Annie Florence Brooke. She was given her mother’s maiden name and raised like an only child, adored by her adult brothers. Family members tell us her parents were strict Baptists. Ruth left home to attend business school in Calgary. It was there she met the love of her life, a divorced American baseball player named Bill Peterson. Ruth followed Bill to the States and they were married in 1951. Ruth and her new husband lived in Oakland, California and Reno, Nevada. The couple had a long marriage until Bill’s death in 1985.

But the story really began with the artist. Born in Rome in 1874, Arthur Adair Brooke had a long journey to Salmon Arm, British Columbia. The eldest child of Arthur Swindells and Amelia Adair Brooke had little memory at the age of two of moving with his family to Switzerland. His father was a professional watercolour artist and supported the family of 9 surviving children by painting landscapes.

When A.A. Brooke finished secondary school he was sent to England before emigrating to Canada in 1890. The first stop in Canada was Manitoba where he learned to farm under the tutelage of Joseph Merry at the Barnsley Farm Home. Four years later, Brooke began working his own farm.

Brooke married Annie Florence Ruth in 1898. Their first son, Harold Arthur, was born at Barnsley two years later. The family moved to Didsbury, Alberta, and two more sons joined the family, Ralph Edward in 1902 and Ernest Cuthbert in 1903. A.A. Brooke worked a homestead and received his Western Land Grant in 1904.

Alberta was not to be the end of the journey. Brooke sold the homestead and its improvements, and moved the household west after purchasing 60 acres of the Goforth farm in the Mt. Ida District near Salmon Arm. They arrived by train in 1907 with two loads of settlers’ effects and set up residence, naming their new home Asterfield.

Still adjusting to retirement, the couple moved again, this time south to another farming community, Cloverdale in the Fraser Valley. Arthur Adair spent his remaining years painting.

Annie Florence passed away December 6th, 1957. After her death, Arthur ached with loneliness and moved to Siska Lodge at Lytton, B.C. to be with his son Harold. He kept busy painting watercolours to sell in the Lodge’s coffee shop.

Arthur Adair was a prolific artist and left a legacy of a significant body of work. The farmer artist sketched images all his life, using his drawings as inspiration for later watercolours. His landscapes depict Switzerland, Ireland, Manitoba, Alberta, Alaska, and British Columbia. Numerous watercolours and sketches are held in private collections, at the Glenbow Museum in Calgary, the Dufferin Historical Society Museum in Carman, Manitoba and the Salmon Arm Museum. But his best work is said to be Ruth’s baby books that document his daughter's early life.

Arthur died thirteen months after Annie on January 13, 1959.

June Griswold
MS 152 · Person · 2005-2013

June Stacel [1926 – 2013] was born in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. June spent her youth in logging camps in Idaho, Washington, and Oregon.
In 1952 June met logger Harry Griswold in Oregon. They were married 1 month later and the marriage lasted 54 years. The couple had 2 children, Nola and Julia.

June was Curator at the S.S. Moyie in Kaslo and was involved with the Kootenay Lake Historical Society. The couple moved to the Shuswap in 1990 and became involved with the Spallumcheen Pioneer Power Club.

June played a key role developing the Seed Savers Group, was a supporter of the Salmon Arm Community Band, and the Salmon Arm and Shuswap Lake Agricultural Association (Fall Fair).

Duncan, Frank
MS 21 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1878-1970

Francis (Frank) Duncan was born in Missouri in 1878. As a child, he and his parents lived in California and Texas. After the death of his parents, Duncan returned to Missouri to live with his grandparents. Duncan trained as a photographer, returned to Texas to work and then decided to "go up into Canada fishing."

Duncan arrived in Salmon Arm in 1913 and opened a photography studio above the Kualt store. He was a widower at the time and sent for his daughter, Kathleen. Neighbours, the Reilly family, took care of the young girl at Tappen, while Duncan tried to make a living. To supplement his studio work, Duncan sold subscriptions to the Observer and bartered exchanges for his catches of fish.

The Salmon Arm Observer notes that Duncan was an experienced photographer when he arrived in the area. He specialized in railroad and newspaper photography, and had worked throughout Canada, the United States and Mexico.

The Salmon Arm Observer commissioned Duncan to take photographs of all parts of the Shuswap. Interestingly, on June 18, 1914 the editors note that Mr. Duncan had a hydroplane that he used on Shuswap Lake. Duncan later worked in Klamath Falls, Oregon before moving to Texas. He made homes in Presidio, Terlingua and, finally, Marfa in 1916. According to The Big Bend Sentinel, Duncan considered himself primarily a prospector, with photographic skills. He approached ranchers in Texas, asking to prospect, but was usually denied access to their land. Then, as a back up, Duncan offered to take portraits of the ranchers' families and landscapes of their ranches. The Marfa Presidio County Museum houses 2,200 of Duncan's glass and film negatives from the region. Duncan loved hunting, fishing and the outdoors. He died July 9, 1970 at Brownfield, Texas and was buried at Mt. Olive Cemetery in Big Spring, Texas. Duncan was 91.

Mary Lois Esau
MS 23 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1993

Mary Esau studied history of musical theatre in England and the United States prior to studying musical theatre in Canada. Mary Lois Esau earned a B.F.A. at the University of Lethbridge in 1990 and a Master of Arts degree in the Department of Theatre at the University of Victoria in 1993.

Esau discovered the name of Salmon Arm’s John Leonard in the Book History of Music in British Columbia: 1850-1950 by Dale McIntosh and began searching for Leonard’s operettas. Leonard was a writer of original operetta material and quite possibly British Columbia’s first composer of light opera. Leonard wrote works specifically to meet the needs and abilities of his singers and actors. Deciding Leonard was a subject worthy of further research, Esau set out to write her Master’s thesis on Leonard’s career in music, calling it John F. Leonard and His High School Operettas.

MS 25 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1837-1933

Henry Fraser was born in Ceylon and came to Canada in 1850. He settled in Salmon Arm, B.C. in 1885. He hunted and trapped, as well as carried on general farming and dairying. He married Alice Jirard in 1900 and had two children. He was one of the earliest settlers in the Salmon Arm area.

Gesell, Herman
MS 28 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1863-1939

Herman Gesell was born in Austria in 1863. He emigrated to the USA in 1882, but came to BC with the construction of the CPR in 1896. He filed a homestead on property five miles northwest of Sicamous. He received his patent in 1912. Gesell cleared forty acres of the 160 he filed on. After meeting his requirements, Gesell took time to continue his travels and record landscapes in his sketch books. He travelled to North Dakota, to Lake Pend D'Oreille to visit the first nation's people and to Argentina to visit with his brother Silvio. Herman Gesell succumbed to a kidney infection in 1939. His homestead was burned by authorities and neighbour Alex Woods was asked to take care of his effects, mostly paintings and books. According to John Tapson-Jones, the estate could not be sent to Germany because of the wartime restrictions.

MS 31 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1923-

Lois May Harrington was born 02 May, 1923 in Salmon Arm to Bernard Gibb (Barney) Harrington and Ethel Jameson. Lois attended Broadview School, Salmon Arm Secondary, and St. Anne's Academy in Kamloops. She trained as a medical stenographer.

Lois married Carl Weber in 1949. The couple had nine children and she devoted herself to raising her children. Her interests were painting, poetry, gardening, playing scrabble and bingo, and was known to have a good sense of humour She attended the Catholic Church faithfully. In 1972 she married Franz Lobermayer.

Our interest in Lois May Harrington stems from the fact that she was a pupil at the Boardview Elementary School which was moved to R.J. Haney Heritag Village in 1988. The collection consists of her Broadveiw school records which show that she was an honour roll student in 1931 and from 1934-1936. Lois graduated from Broadview School i 1936.

Jamieson, Roland A.
MS 34 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1914-1999

Roland (Rollie) Jamieson, born in Calgary, 1914, came to the Salmon Arm area as a boy of 10 years. He was the eldest of six children. Obliged to leave school in grade 10, he became a plumber's helper for M.M. Carroll and in 1945, Roland took over the Carroll & Co., plumbing and heating sheet metal works.

After retirement from his plumbing and heating business in 1979, Jamieson pursued his neglected interest in history and recorded many stories of Salmon Arm and its more prominent people. The collection primarily consists of his manuscripts and research material and notes.

Roland Jamieson and his wife, Marjorie’s Critchley (1921-1977) had five children: Susan (Ward), Mary (Paul), Nancy (Burke), Joanne (Gollan), and Lawrence. Following Marjorie’s death, he married Jean Davies. Roland Jamieson died February 16, 1999.

Lingford, Rex
MS 39 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1881-1968

Reginald (Rex) Percival Breillet Lingford was born in Birkenhead, England. He trained as a photographer at Villiers and Quick in Bristol, England. Lingford arrived in Salmon Arm in 1909, joining brothers Cecil and Kenneth and uncle, Charlie Ehlers. Shortly before emigrating, he purchased a full plate camera with a Ross-Zeiss lens at a second hand store in London.
Lingford opened a photography studio in Salmon Arm in the second McGuire Store, where the road to the wharf crossed the railway tracks. His competition was C.E. Woodbridge, who advertised "Toronto prices". Rivalry was well documented in the local newspaper, the Salmon Arm Observer. The competition was intense but brief, ending in October 1909 when Lingford purchased the Woodbridge business.

By August 5, 1910, Lingford had taken on a partner, W.J. Honey, and called the business "The Studio". Lingford operated his photographic business from 1909 to 1914. His best pictures were landscapes, a talent inherited from his father and grandfather, both landscape artists.

Lingford's career as a professional photographer ended with the beginning of WW I. He joined the BC Horse Infantry and received a medal for Bravery in the Field as a non-commissioned soldier. Later, as an officer, he received the Military Cross.

When Lingford returned to Salmon Arm, he felt no urge to resume work as a photographer. According to his memoirs, the financial reward was too small. On August 18, 1919, Lingford was appointed City Clerk and Collector, an administrative position with the City of Salmon Arm. The position paid $100 a month. He spent the next thirty-one years working as the city clerk, retiring August 31, 1950.

Rex Lingford married Laura Wilcox in 1921 and raised two children, Noel and Cynthia.

Rex Lingford returned to Salmon Arm a strong Christian. He made sense of the things he had seen in war through his belief in God. He was active in St. John's Anglican Church, serving as Rector's Warden and Church School Superintendent. He was secretary-treasurer of the Salmon Arm Boat Club and involved in the Salmon Arm Fish and Game Protective Association.

Mitchell, David Salmond
MS 45 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1868-1951

Scottish born David Salmond (Scotty) Mitchell was an influential Shuswap resident. In his native Scotland, he was trained as an architectural draftsman, He immigrated to Canada in 1889 and worked in Vancouver until he filed for a homestead in Canoe in 1901.

When the federal governments fish hatchery was established at Tappen in 1901, he was appointed as its first, and only, superintendent, continuing in that capacity until the hatchery was abandoned in 1916. Mitchell was widely recognized as an expert on salmon and their propagation.

An outdoors man, he prospected for minerals throughout the Shuswap district and knew its mountains and valleys. At the same time, he was delving into the natural and human history of the area. He particularly respected and admired the way of life of the First Nations People, and in a report to the Fisheries Department, noted their sustainable lifestyle.

The artifacts related to the archival collection are held in the Salmon Arm Museum's collection and consists of personal effects, survey equipment, cartography tools, maps, and geological samples.

Mitchell was a curious fellow. He took up a homestead at Larch Hills. Mitchell's later years were spent reading widely, writing pioneer stories and essays, prospecting, and subsistence farming until his death at the Kamloops Provincial Home, February 8, 1951 at age eighty-three.

Perrier, Hector Joseph
MS 50 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1877-1966

Hector Joseph Perrier was born 18 July 1877 at Alfred, Ontario. When he was twenty-six years old, he moved to Nelson, BC where he obtained employment at David Wadd's Studio and trained as a photographer.

In 1907 he opened a studio in Pincher Creek, AB where he did portrait work and finishing film for amateurs. He married Ellen in 1909. The couple had two children, Arthur and Irene. They continued to live in Pincer Creek until 1915, when the family moved to Salmon Arm and Perrier opened a photography studio.

Perrier's work in Salmon Arm included portraits and landscapes. His portraits were often taken in his subject's homes, a significant departure from previous photographic styles. Perrier posed many of his subjects in natural settings, so we get a closer glimpse of the people behind the portraits. His wartime postcards are a fine record of military activities. Perrier captured scenes of men as they enlisted to fight overseas. His streetscapes are an uncommon record of Salmon Arm in its early years.

Near the end of WW I, Perrier moved to Edmonton where he worked in other professions, as a salesman, clerk and insurance agent. However, he continued to work in the darkroom, retouching photographs for Alderson Photography and McCutcheon's.

In 1927 Perrier moved to Jasper, AB where he opened a photograph finishing business. According to authors Jack McCuaig and Don Stewart, he later concentrated on the retail trade and was able to pursue landscape photography once again.

Perrier retired in 1948 and his son, Art, took over the business. Perrier died in St. Albert, AB in Youville Home of the Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns) July 21, 1966. Perrier was buried in the Jasper Cemetery.

Reinhard, William
MS 53 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1851-1922

Dr. William Reinhard was Salmon Arm's first resident doctor. Born Georg Theodore Adolf Wilhelm Reinhard in Bavaria (1851-1922), known now as Melsungen, Germany, William Reinhard studied medicine at four prominent universities in Europe, including Berlin, Baden, Munich, and Zurich. Dr. Reinhard specialized in studies of the ear, eye, nose and throat. In the early 1880s, he moved to Wisconsin to join his brothers. He married Marie Buchbinder in 1883 and practiced medicine there for a short while. The couple had four children while living in Wisconsin, two boys and two girls: Oscar, Anna, Thekla and Gus. In 1886, the family was joined by Caroline (also known as Lina or Lena). Lina came to Wisconsin to help her sister with the large family and to take care of her younger brother Carl.

In 1888 the family moved to Ladner's Landing in British Columbia, Canada where another son, Wilhelm, was born. Marie died in Ladner's Landing in 1891, at the age of 31. Lina assumed the mother role to the young children. The family moved to Vernon to purchase an already-established practice. Since Dr. Reinhard considered it improper to live with an unmarried woman, he moved to Barkerville for a year and became house physician there. By 1893, he had returned to Vernon and had married his sister-in-law, Caroline Buchbinder.

Dr. Reinhard came to practice medicine in Salmon Arm in 1906. In 1910 he purchased the Orange Hall and remodelled the building for offices. The Salmon Arm practice was sold in 1913 when Dr. Reinhard became seriously ill. He returned to Salmon Arm in 1916 and practiced for a year. Dr. Reinhard also moved his practice to Armstrong and Nelson, while his family remained in Vernon. In 1907 he bought and built a pre-fabricated house on the East Hill of Vernon. Eventually, Dr. Reinhard practiced medicine in the logging camps on the Queen Charlotte Islands and then became the director of the government hospital in Bella Coola. He died of a heart attack in 1922 and is buried in Vernon alongside of his wife, Lina, and his sons Gus and Oscar.

MS 56 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1879 - 1932

Mr. Eustace Claude Savile was born in England. He was educated in Bristol at Clifton College. He took his B.A. at Cambridge University. He spent time in a Swiss Sanitorium for his health and reportedly came to Canada for his health.

Mr. E.C. Savile and his wife arrived in Salmon Arm in 1910. He purchased forty acres from Mr. William Campbell in South Canoe. He contracted Gibbard and Boutwell to build a home for he and his wife.

Mr. Savile planted an orchard. While it was maturing, he decided to return to the practice of law and wrote the B.C. Bar Admissions in 1912. He opened an office in Salmon Arm, practicing as a solicitor. Later, by newspaper accounts, Savile also acted as a barrister.

During the winter months Savile commuted by horse and sleigh to Salmon Arm. The journey was difficult in winter time. When the orchard matured enough to produce, Savile sold the land and built a brick house near Bastion School.

Savile practiced law for twenty-two years. In his legal capacity he acted for the District of Salmon Arm. Mr. Savile was also well respected by the Kamloops Bar.

Savile's community service work was varied and included membership in the Board of Trade, treasurer of the library, honourary advisor to the hospital, president of the Salmon Arm Golf and Country Club, and a warden of St. John's Church.

Savile was a keen fisherman and drowned in a fishing accident at Little River near Adams River in 1932.

Earl Tomyn
MS 75 · Person · 1932-2003

Earl Alvin Tomyn was born 10 April, 1932,on a farm in Margo, Saskatchewan to Mike and Anna Tomyn. One of ten children, Tomyn is of Ruthenian descent. His parents immigrated to Canada from Austria, through Ellis Island in 1910.

Tomyn began elementary school at the age of 8 in 1940, completing his public school studies in 1951. He worked in a variety of jobs including the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Company in Flin Flon, Manitoba (1952), the oil fields in Leduc, at Canadian Equipment Sales and Service Co. in Edmonton (1953) and in a pharmacy in Lucky Lake, Sask. (1954). Tomyn then worked as a reporter for AThe Post@ in Fairview Alberta (1954) and for Fairview Photo (1955). Wanting further training, Tomyn enrolled in the Falk School of Professional Photography in Maryville, Missouri, graduating in 1956. His jobs included working at Heath Photography in Melfort, Sask, then Fairview Photo Studio 1956-1957). In 1957 he worked at Edstrom Studio in Winona, Minnesota. Tired of the wages, Tomyn moved back to Flin Flon, Manitoba to work for Mid West Diamond Drilling as a relief driller and timekeeper. At Mid West he created a commissary for other employees.

From 1958 to 1960 Tomyn owned and operated Earl=s Photo Studio at Leader Saskatchewan. In 1960 he moved to Edmonton, working for Goertz Photo Studio, as a contracted photographer for the Edmonton Journal. In 1961 he moved to Camrose, to work at Langbell=s studio. During 1963 Tomyn moved frequently, working in the resource and construction sectors in Clearwater, BC, Pinepoint, NWT and Little Fort, BC.

In 1965 Tomyn moved to Avola and worked as a driller for Emil Anderson Construction. He and his family moved to Salmon Arm, where he worked for Federated Cooperative in Canoe. From 1969 to 1976 Tomyn operated Earl's Photo Studio in Salmon Arm. From 1976 to 1993 Tomyn returned to work at Federated Cooperative as a forklift driver and watchman.

While in Salmon Arm, Tomyn took an active interest in First United Church, The Salmon Arm Fall Fair Board, The Lions Club, Salmon Arm Light Horse Academy, and Salmon Arm Museum. In 1980,he wrote the The History of Margo Sask ,a 400 page volume encompassing the history of the area and it=s people from the early 1900's . He also compiled a phonetic language dictionary of English to Ruthenian.

On November 5, 1966 Tomyn married Marjorie Kernaghan [1937-1991]. The couple had two children, Michael Walter, born Aug. 8, 1967 and Anne Marie, born March 10, 1969.

Earl Tomyn died at his home in Blind Bay, BC with his family around him on 13 October, 2003.

Turner, Eddie C.
MS 76 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1909-1971

Edward Charles Turner [1909-1971] was born in Salmon Arm and attended school in the community. His parents, Robert and Maude Turner were pioneers to the area and arrived in Salmon Arm in 1892. The family ran an orchard and packing house. Edward was the eldest of four children.

Eddie Turner married Eileen M. Hazel (nee Stewart) in the late 1940's. Eddie adopted Eileen's only son, Richard. The couple had no children of their own. Richard and his new bride Lynda (nee Thurston) were tragically killed in 1966 at Lytton, returning from their wedding in Vancouver.

Following Robert Turner's death in 1950, Eddie took over management of the family fruit growing and packing operation. The packing house closed in the fall of 1950 following the big freeze of 1950.

Eddie Turner was interested in the Non-Permanent Active Militia. In 1939 he was commissioned lieutenant in the Rocky Mountain Rangers. He served in Kamloops at the outbreak of W.W. II. Later he was the officer in charge of the army munitions dump north of Kamloops. He was honourably discharged in 1941 for medical reasons.

Eddie was elected Reeve in May of 1952. He headed district council for ten years, stepping down in July 31, 1961.

Eddie's interests included hydroplane racing and collecting Canadian stamps. He was an active Liberal, serving as president of the local party organization for fifteen years. He was a member of the Salmon Arm Masonic Lodge and interested in Legion affairs.

Eileen Mabel Stewart [1912 -1987] was born in Vancouver. According to June Turner, she married a Mr. Hazel and lived in Vulcan, Alberta. The couple had one son, Richard in 1944. When Eileen relocated to Salmon Arm she worked at the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.

Turner, Edward Charles
MS 76 (Salmon Arm Museum) · Person · 1909-1971

Edward Charles Turner [1909-1971] was born in Salmon Arm and attended school in the community. His parents, Robert and Maude (nee McGuire) Turner were pioneers to the area and arrived in Salmon Arm in 1892. The family ran an orchard and packing house. Edward was the eldest of four children.
Eddie Turner married Eileen M. Hazel (nee Stewart) in the late 1940's. Eddie adopted Eileen's only son, Richard. The couple had no children of their own. Richard and his new bride Lynda (nee Thurston) were tragically killed in 1966 at Lytton BC, returning from their wedding in Vancouver.

Following Robert Turner's death in 1950, Eddie took over management of the orchard and packing operation known as R Turner and Sons Ltd. The packing house closed in the fall of 1950 following the big freeze of 1950. The company remained active as the original land base, along the highway and McGuire Lake, became subdivided for school, hospital and medical office buildings as well as residential holdings.

Eddie was interested in the Non-Permanent Active Militia. In 1939 he was commissioned lieutenant in the Rocky Mountain Rangers. He served in Kamloops at the outbreak of WW II. Later he was the officer in charge of the army munitions dump north of Kamloops. He was honourably discharged in 1941 for medical reasons.

Eddie was elected as Reeve of the District of Salmon Arm in May of 1952. He headed district council for ten years, stepping down in July 31, 1961.

Eddie's interests included hydroplane racing and collecting Canadian stamps. He was an active Liberal, serving as president of the local party organization for fifteen years. He was a member of the Salmon Arm Masonic Lodge and interested in Legion affairs.

Eileen Mabel Stewart [19 -1987] was born in Vancouver BC. According to June Turner, she married a Mr. Hazel and lived in Vulcan, Alberta. The couple had one son, Richard, in 1944. When Eileen relocated to Salmon Arm, she worked at the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.