Pat Fogarty was a sociologist who worked for Environment Canada from 1971-1983 until his retirement. During that time he participated in the socio-economic assessment of the MacKenzie River Pipeline Study. In 1991, Fogarty became a volunteer member of a steering committee commissioned by the BC Ministry of Forests to manage the development of the Public Access Silviculture Information System (PASIS).
Dennis Wheeler, writer and filmmaker, was born in Vancouver in 1948. He studied art history and English at the University of British Columbia and became an integral part of the Vancouver art community during the late 1960s. His writing and criticism was published in artscanada, Grape, and The Georgia Straight. In 1975 he directed the film Potlatch: A Strict Law Bids Us Dance for the U’mista Cultural Centre. In 1976 he collaborated with Nancy Holt on the video Revolve. Wheeler died of leukemia in 1977.
Mrs. Christanze Kruger was born in Schleswig–Holstein in 1857 and died in Penticton in 1939. She came to Victoria in 1872 and married Theodore Kruger the following year, travelling to the Okanagan by way of the Hope-Princeton trail. She was the only white woman in Osoyoos until Judge Haynes remarried in 1875.
Born in Penticton, B.C., Gordon Douglas McGegor graduated from UBC with a B.A. in French and Theatre in 1970. He completed graduate work at Princeton (M.A. 1970, Pd.D. 1978). After teaching French at Colgate University, he joined the Department of French at UBC in 1981 where he remained until his death in 1986.
Hans Hansen was born in Huso, Tonsberg, Norway in 1859. In 1877, as a teenager, he jumped ship in B.C. and lived in the Vancouver area. By 1891 he had established a crown land grant at Port Neville and established a homestead.
During these early years he (and later family) resided in New Westminster were he worked as the circulation manager for the World Newspaper.
In 1897 he married widower Elizabeth Flintham and she along with her young son Billy, from her previous marriage, took up residence at Hans’ Port Neville homestead.
Unfortunately, 18 months after their marriage Elizabeth passed away. Her son Billy, was adopted by and raised by Hans.
Hansen married Cathinka Marie Wikner (also spelled Kathinka or Katinka) on August 3, 1903 and they went on to have four children Karen, Edith, Lilly and Arthur.
In 1895 Hans established the 1st Post Office at Port Neville. Hans Hansen died in 1939.
John (Jack) A. Cruickshank was born in Vancouver on March 5, 1899. In the winter of 1917, he and a group of young men from Vancouver decided to set up a summer camp in West Vancouver. The other members of "The Hounds" as the group called themselves, were Harry Thorley, Wally Hunter, Bill Strang, John McGillivray, and Herb Ballantyne.
The next summer they rented a vacant lot at 17th Street and Fulton Avenue, the current site of the Municipal Hall, for $10 a month, where they erected a large tent with a wooden framework. During the week they commuted by ferries from their Vancouver homes, and on the weekends enjoyed the local dances and stayed overnight.
In the spring of 1920, the Hounds moved to Dundarave at 2540 Bellevue, where they again set up a tent with a ten-foot porch on the front. A number of similar camps in this, and other West Vancouver areas made for many lively times. When friends visited they often went out to Sandy Cove for a picnic on the beach. In 1920, the group organized the West Vancouver Amateur Swimming Club, and in 1921 put on the first Dundarave Regatta, a successful swimming competition that continued for several years. At the end of 1924, Herb Ballantyne and Jack Cruickshank, the most regular members of the Hounds decided to give up their camp.
On November 12, 1924 Jack Cruickshank married Elizabeth (Bess) Holt. In the spring of 1926, they settled in West Vancouver in a double garage that Jack had converted into a temporary home, on property they had purchased from Bess Holt's mother. After the birth of their first two children, Jack Holt in 1927, and Isabel Diane in 1930, the Cruickshanks built a permanent home on the property. They lived at 2586 Marine Drive until December 1955, then moved to a house on Mathers Avenue, before retiring to Vernon to manage a summer resort. The Cruickshanks continued to spend their winters on the North Shore. John (Jack) A. Cruickshank died on July 4, 1984, at the age of 85.
Jacqueline (Jackie) Hugo was born in Vancouver, BC in 1927. In the 1940s she studied privately, and at the Vancouver School of Art. In addition to British Columbia, she has painted in Eastern Canada, Europe, and Mexico.
Hugo drew her inspiration from BC's mountain scenery, and worked with pastels to create the luminous cool effects which are her trademark. She prefered the gentle texture of pastels above other media to depict the subtle colours of wooded mountains, quiet shorelines, and rustic buildings, and because they are easier to backpack into remote locations. Although she concentrated mainly on scenery, her work also included portraits and still life.
Jacqueline Hugo's paintings are in private collections in Canada, Finland, England, the US, Australia, West Germany, South Africa, India, and the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
Kenneth Allison Roblin was born in 1896. He was known as Kenneth "Kayo / K.O." Roblin, and his wife's name was Myrna D. Their son, Paul K. Roblin, graduated from West Vancouver High School in 1958.
The family originally camped in West Vancouver but eventually bought a lot at 26th Street and Marine Drive in the early 1930s. In 1937 the Roblin family lived at 2862 Highbury, and moved in 1941 to 2613 Mathers Avenue. Kenneth worked for the Province newspaper as a salesman and wrote a small publication for the campers in West Vancouver during the Regattas. He was also a member of the Pacific Coast Militia Rangers from 1942 to 1945. Kenneth Roblin died on September 22, 1978 at the age of 82.
G. S. Conway was an engineer for the British Pacific Properties Limited and for the First Narrows Bridge Company LimitedGilbert S. Conway was a civil engineer for First Narrows Bridge Company Limited and British Pacific Properties Limited. He played a significant role managing the construction of Lions Gate Bridge, overseeing the work of three hundred men, and also in the development of the Capilano Estates residential area. From 1937 to 1938 he kept detailed diaries in which he recorded daily weather conditions and progress of the work on Lions Gate Bridge, and included newspaper clippings relating to the project. In later years, Gilbert Conway worked in West Vancouver as an independent contractor, consulting on a variety of engineering matters including cost estimates, development plans, investigations and reports, construction supervision, and waterworks installation.
Robert Andrew Faris was born in Vancouver, BC on December 25, 1923 to Kathleen “Kitty” (nee Litch) and Andrew Faris. He served in the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II, met and married Celia Eileen Brown in London, England, and settled in Vancouver where Bob worked as a traveling hardware salesman for 19 years. Faris entered the ministry in his 40s. Ordained by BC Conference in 1967, his charges included Hazelton (1967-1970); First United, Victoria (1970-1973); Central Mainland Marine Mission (1973-1978); Bella Bella (1978-1983); and Sunnyside United Church, White Rock (1983-1990). He continued as Minister Emeritus at Sunnyside, and served with Celia as caretaker at Camp Kwomais in White Rock until retirement in 1993. Bob spent his retirement with Celia in Victoria, where he died in 2001.
The Reverend Valentine Jackson Anderson (known also as Val Anderson) was a United Church Minister, professor of Pastoral Theology at Union College (now Vancouver School of Theology), avid community volunteer and a Member of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia.
Val Anderson was born on February 14, 1929 in Saskatchewan. He obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1950, a Diploma in Theology from St. Andrew’s College in Saskatoon in 1953, and a Bachelor of Divinity in 1963, also from St. Andrew’s College. Val also did post-graduate work in Princeton and Boston (1963-1964).
Val married Joyce, who is also from Saskatchewan, on July 16, 1952 when they were both student ministers at St. Andrew’s College.
Valentine Anderson was ordained in 1953 in Nipawin, Saskatchewan. As a minister, he served in three United Church pastorates in Saskatchewan – Smeaton (1953-1955), Gravelbourg (1956-1958) and Regina (1959-1962). He was also a weekend supply minister while attending graduate school in Princeton and Boston (1963-1964). He was also a part-time associate minister at Japanese Nisei UC, at South Arm UC in Richmond and at Knox UC in Kerrisdale. Val served as Minister of Grace United Church and Marpole United Church, the latter being his final pastorate and where he became Minister Emeritus of Marpole United Church.
Val started the first Conference insert in the UC Observer and chaired the Vancouver South Presbytery, where he was a member for 40 years.
He spent seven years at Union College as professor of Pastoral Theology (1965-1971). During his time there, Union College amalgamated with Anglican Theological College to form Vancouver School of Theology (VST).
Val sat on and chaired numerous committees, both lay and as a UC Minister.
Val was involved in numerous ecumenical and inter-faith activities. He was the first coordinator of P.O.E.M. (People’s Opportunities in Ecumenical Action). He helped to found the Vancouver Inner-City Service Project, the Airport Interfaith Ministry, the Pacific Interfaith Citizenship Association, edited the Canadian Ecumenical News for eight years. Val also helped to found Canadian Ecumenical Action (now Multi-faith Action) of which he was the Coordinator from 1997-1980. He was also the first Executive Secretary of the Vancouver Council of Churches (1972-1976) and served on The Ecumenical Forum of Canada.
Val was also involved in numerous community service projects. He was the founding chair of the Vancouver Food Bank, chaired the Pacific Youth and Addiction Services Society, and was a founding Board member of Brock House, Elders House and the South Granville Seniors Centre. He helped to organize the BC and Vancouver Council for the Family. He served on the Federated Anti-poverty Group, The United Way of Vancouver, the Pacific Youth and Family Addiction Society and the Vancouver City Council Youth Committee. He also chaired the Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood Association, the Marpole Citizens Planning Committee and the Marpole Historical Society.
Val received many awards and honours in recognition of his contributions to his community. Among them was an award from the Social Justice Foundation of BC as well the Good Neighbour Award from the Greater Vancouver Association of Neighbourhood Houses.
Val was elected to the British Columbia Legislature in 1991 and served as a Member of the Legislative Assembly for 13 ½ years.
Valentine Anderson died on March 30, 2006 in Vancouver, B.C.
Anna Chree was born Anna Sass on August 3, 1907 near Vienna, Austria. Her father Danylo emigrated to the north end of Winnipeg in 1910, with the rest of the family following in 1912. Anna graduated from business college in Winnipeg in 1924, and then worked at a variety of secretarial jobs in Philadelphia, Toronto, Timiskaming, and Montreal. Her longest held position was eight years with the Canadian National Railway.
Anna arrived in Vancouver in June 1937. After World War II she also spent some time working in London, England, at Canada House. She married William Ian Chree in May 1951 at St. Francis-in-the-Wood Anglican Church in West Vancouver. Ian Chree worked on sound systems for stage productions through Vancouver, especially Theatre Under the Stars.
Anna Chree was a woman of many talents. She had an excellent memory for names and events, kept a diary written in shorthand, and was an acccomplished Cordon Bleu trained cook who enjoyed music and theatre. However, her main passion was roses. She founded the West Vancouver Garden Club in 1962, and was president of the West Vancouver Rose Society for a period of time.
She also served as secretary on the Air Pollution Committee, Chair of the Environment Committee of the North and West Vancouver Council of Women, and was actively involved in other community organizations including the Vancouver Folk Society, Canadian Folk Society, Pacific National Exhibition, Vancouver Camera Club, Opera Guild, Chrysanthemum Society, Vancouver Parks Board, West Vancouver Social Credit Association, and West Vancouver Little Theatre Guild.
Another of Anna Chree's passions was the establishment of a fountain in West Vancouver, for which she lobbied beginning in 1960. Her desire to do something lasting and beautiful for the community she had lived in for almost 50 years, led her to bequeath her estate to the municipality of West Vancouver. She chose the general elements of the fountain before she died which will be constructed in a plaza adjacent to the expanded aquatic and community centre.
Ian Chree died on November 9, 1968 at the age of 59. Anna Chree died in March 2002 at the age of 94.
Eileen M. Scott was born on May 15, 1919. She attended Lord Byng High School until Grade 10, and in 1941 completed a four year art course at the Vancouver School of Art. Due to the scarcity of jobs in the art profession, she took a business course at the Duffus School of Business and was later employed with the London and Western Trust Company, as well as with the British Properties as a private secretary. Scott later worked as a payroll clerk for the Municipality of West Vancouver until her retirement in 1963.
After her retirement, Scott refocused her interest in the arts by studying photography. She was an active member of the Vancouver Pacific Camera Club which included professional members. While photography became her main focus, in 1982 Scott wrote a book titled "Porridge and Old Clothes," This work documents Scott's early life in Vancouver, and the lives of her ancestors who were Scots from the Lowlands who settled in Manitoba in the early 1880s.
Jeanie Allan grew up in West Vancouver, with her parents and brother John. Her grandparents lived in West Vancouver in the early 1900s. Jeanie was educated at local schools, and graduated from Inglewood High School. As a teenager she was active in local events such as May Days, and belonged to the West Vancouver Girl Guide Company. Jeanie graduated as a nurse from Vancouver General Hospital in 1945. She married Albert Cox and they had two children, David and Eleanor.
George Gee was born on July 22, 1908 in Virden, Manitoba where he lived with his parents and 9 brothers and sisters. After his father's death in 1909, the family's financial situation worsened until foreclosure forced the family to scatter across Canada in search of employment. Gee stayed in Manitoba working as a labourer until the stock market crash of 1929 forced him into the ranks of the unemployed. He then moved to Princeton, British Columbia to join his brothers.
While in Princeton, Gee and his brothers supported themselves with odd jobs and George increasingly came under the influence of his brother Bill, who had joined the communist party in 1932. He also became affiliated with well-known communist organizer Arthur "Slim" Evans while helping with the Tulameen Coal Miner's Strike in 1933. In March of 1934, Gee married Lillian Smith-Mitchell of Princeton, B.C.
Gee left Princeton in 1935 and took a job with Peterson electric in Vancouver, B.C. Soon after, Gee was laid off and joined the communist party. In 1936, he left Vancouver for Seattle, Washington where he found steady work and joined the Local 77 chapter of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (I.B.E.W.).
In 1937, Gee moved back to Vancouver and worked for B.C. Electric. This same year, George and Lillian had their first daughter, Joyce. The Gee family welcomed their second daughter (Shirley) in 1939. On August 4, 1939, he began his career with the Local 213 of the I.B.E.W, where he went on to serve as a business agent from 1946-1955. During these years, the Gees had two more children, a daughter (Bonnie) and a son (James).
Gee was expelled from the union in 1955 due to his political affiliation, where after he returned to his job at B.C. Electric (from which he had taken a leave of absence from 1946 on). After only working a half-day, Gee was fired because of his expulsion from the I.B.E.W. Five days later, close to 300 electrical workers walked off the job in protest to Gee's dismissal.
From the date of his firing in 1955 until 1957, Gee made a series of attempts within the I.B.E.W. to be reinstated. The attempts all failed and were eventually followed by a trial in the Supreme Court, which rejected Gee's charges against the I.B.E.W.
After Gee's defeat in The Supreme Court, he ran a small heating business called G&B Heating until 1960, when he, his wife Lilian, and their son James moved to Edmonton, Alberta. He worked there as the western representative for The United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (U.E.). In 1967 Gee moved back to Vancouver, B.C., and continued to fulfil this position until his retirement in 1974. By 1974, The Gees purchased property in Davis Bay, Sechelt. Gee was actively involved in political affairs, civic affairs and was one of the founding members of the Sechelt Communist Party.
William (Bill) James Turnbull, the son of a Presbyterian Minister was born in Ontario in 1886. He began his career in the lumber industry as a tally boy at the age of 14, and moved West to Edmonton in 1912. After managing a lumber yard in the Prairies for nearly a decade, Bill moved to Vancouver in 1924 to work for the Vancouver Lumber Company, which owned a mill in North Vancouver. The mill often delivered lumber to West Vancouver, and Bill realized there was a demand for lumber in the area. After the North Vancouver mill was destroyed by fire, he decided to pursue the opportunity.
He moved to the muncipality in August 1925 to start the West Vancouver Lumber Company Limited. His lumber yard was located at 15th Street and Marine Drive. It was a prosperous operation for the first three years, but the company struggled after the depression and during the war years. Despite taking on two partners, the company went out of business in 1944.
Bill Turnbull's personal interests included tennis, and he was a member of the West Vancouver Tennis Club for many years. He also used to curl outdoors on the Prairies, and missed the sport, and so in the early 1930s, he invented a special table, and rocks for an indoor curling game which he patented in Canada, the United States, and Great Britain. In 1947, he had an indoor curling club, of about 50 members, that played above Ambleside Drugs, at the corner of 14th Street and Marine Drive. In 1949, Bill Turnbull registered his indoor curling equipment business, ROXX Manufacturing Company, which was in business until 1961. William James Turnbull died on October 2, 1982 at the age of 96.
Joseph Bentley Leyland, known to all his friends and colleagues as “Joe”, was born in Forest Hill, London, England, on January 11, 1888, the younger of two sons born to John and Fanny Julia Leyland. Joe was educated for nine years in private school and then at St. Mary's College, Woolhampton, Reading, Berks, England. In 1904 he sat for the Civil Service Commission Examination for Assistant Clerkship in the Royal Navy. He passed, but had become interested in Canada and decided to leave England.
Joe Leyland arrived in Halifax on March 17, 1905 with 40 dollars in his pocket and went to Manitou, Manitoba to work on a farm. From March to September 1906 he served as subscription agent for the Winnipeg Telegram in Portage La Prairie; then from September 1906 to April 1907 he worked as a bookkeeper in the law office of Arthur Meighen, who later became Prime Minister of Canada. From April to October 1907 he was bookkeeper in the law office of E.A. McPherson, later Chief Justice for Manitoba. In October 1907, Joe joined the head office staff of the Great West Life Assurance Company in Winnipeg, eventually moving up to Head Office Special Representative, which meant he had to travel regularly across the country, from Montreal to Vancouver.
In 1914, Leyland married Margaretta Barber of Regina, Saskatchewan, a co-worker at the Great West Life Assurance Company. The couple honeymooned in Vancouver, picnicking in West Vancouver and visiting the “Clachan” in Dundarave. They returned to Regina, where their daughter Josephine Frances was born on June 9, 1915. By 1919 they had become permanent residents of West Vancouver, and their waterfront home at 2848 Bellevue Avenue was a popular setting for garden parties, dinners, and special meetings. Their son John (Jack) was born on June 7, 1922.
Joseph Leyland’s municipal career began in 1926 when he was elected President of the West Vancouver Conservative Association. He ran for and won a seat as Councillor in the civic elections, serving as Chairman of Finance, Fire and Publicity.
In 1927, again as Councillor, he was Chairman of Transportation and Health, serving a second term as member of the Cemetery Board, and is credited with naming the Capilano View Cemetery. He won a seat on the School Board the following year.
Joe Leyland took a great interest in community sports and recreation, and was a charter member of the West Vancouver Tennis Club, serving as President in 1929. He was a co-founder of the West Vancouver Regatta, Director of the Children’s Memorial Park Playgrounds, and an honorary member of the Hollyburn Pacific Ski Club. Joe was also an early advocate of parks, and one of his dreams was to see Hollyburn Ridge become a provincial park, and Garibaldi a national park. Both eventually became provincial parks.
In 1929 he ran for the position of Reeve of West Vancouver, but was defeated by V.V. Vinson. In 1930 he ran again, this time defeating Vinson and assuming a position he would hold for eleven years -- three years by elections and eight by acclamation.
One of Joe Leyland’s first undertakings was to introduce a Town Planning Policy, changing the Municipality of West Vancouver from a summer camping area to a well-developed residential area with zoning, building, plumbing, and other regulations, and bylaws firmly outlined.
In 1931, he became a Director of the forerunner to the British Columbia Automobile Association, becoming President in 1932, and remaining a Director until 1944. Also in 1931 he began negotiations with British Pacific Properties Ltd. for the development of the British Properties, the development of a golf club, and the construction of a new bridge at the First Narrows crossing. The Lions Gate Bridge was finally opened to traffic on November 12, 1938.
Joe Leyland was appointed to the British Columbia Economic Council in July of 1934, and in 1936 became a Director of the Vancouver Tourist Association.
Leyland’s achievements over the years were recognized with the creation of Leyland Park in October 1939. He was also honoured by being elected President of the Union of British Columbia Municipalities, a noteworthy achievement for the Reeve of such a small community.
In 1940, Leyland stepped down after eleven terms as Reeve of West Vancouver, but his dedication to public service continued in his private life. From 1941 to 1945 he was Executive Director or Chairman of the War Service campaigns. From 1941 to 1944 he was a Director of the Vancouver Entertainment Council, serving as Chairman in 1944. In 1942 he served as Vice President of the Vancouver Council of Social Agencies. From 1942 to 1944 he served as Director of the Vancouver Welfare Association and Director and Vice President of the B.C. Natural Resources and Conservation League. In 1962, he acted as Chairman of West Vancouver’s Fiftieth Anniversary Committee.
Joseph Leyland died on September 25, 1969 at the age of 81. His wife Margaretta died in 1973.
Hester Emily White, the eldest daughter of Judge J. C. Haynes, was born in Osoyoos 25 April 1877. In 1888, on his way home from the coast, Judge Haynes was taken ill and died at the Allison Ranch near Princeton. Mrs. Haynes took the children to Victoria for a period of time and then to England to complete their education. On their return, when Hester was approximately 17 years of age, financial problems necessitated the selling of the ranch and the family moved to White Rock. In 1897 Hester married C. A. Lambly, government agent at Osoyoos. In 1898, the government offices were moved to Fairview. Mr. Lambly died suddenly of pneumonia, and Hester and her two boys, Wilfred, and C.A.R. went to live on the Lambly ranch at Peachland. In 1908 she married Dr. R.B. White, who had recently moved his practice from Fairview to Penticton. Two more sons were born, Bill and Jack. In Penticton, Hester was a charter member of the Women’s Institute, and the IODE, served on the school board, and was a member of the Children’s Aid Society. She aided in establishing a cottage hospital in Penticton and contributed to the success of the Okanagan Historical Society. Hester died in Penticton in 1963.
Frank Beinder, often referred to as the father of the college system in B.C. was born in Surrey, England on April 24, 1910. As a young man, Beinder worked in a motorcycle factory and attended night courses in engineering and business. Leaving England in 1928 and arriving in the Canadian West, he worked as a farmhand for three years and completed the first year of an Agriculture degree at the University of Manitoba but returned to England in 1930. After WWII, he returned to Canada with his wife and two children. Employed by Cominco in the field of Public Relations, Frank Beinder lived in Roseland, BC. An active member of the British Columbia education community since 1953, Beinder was elected to the Trail School board (School District No. 11) where he served for twenty years, the last five of which he was Chair. During this time, he was elected President of the British Columbia School Trustees Association (B.C.S.T.A.) for two terms, from 1966 to 1978, Chairman of the Education Committee, BC Chamber of Commerce from 1968 to 1972, director of the Education Research Institute of BC from 1969 to 1972 and was a founding member of the Provincial Teacher Qualification Board. Frank Beinder has been particularly identified with British Columbia college education since its earliest days. He was chairman of the Selkirk College Council from 1970 to 1975, a member of a government appointed Community College Task Force and a founder and Executive Director of the British Columbia Association of Colleges. Frank Beinder's career of public service and leadership in education was unique. His particular concern for the potential of community colleges in and for British Columbia prompted Simon Fraser University to confer upon him an honorary doctorate degree in 1984. Shortly afterwards, Beinder published a history of the development of the British Columbia college system entitled "Recollections of a Layman". His efforts were recognized by the province in 1991 when he was presented with the Order of British Columbia. Frank Beinder died in Richmond, BC in 1994.
Charles Ora Card was born November 5, 1839, in Ossian Allegany, New York. He and his family moved to Utah in 1856 and eventually settled in Logan, Cache Valley. Charles was an active member in the militia and achieved the rank of major. He and his father, Cyrus, were one of the first settlers to engage in industry by starting two saw mills. Charles became an expert sawyer. In 1886, he and three other men searched British Columbia and Alberta to find a place to start a Mormon colony. They chose a spot by Lee’s Creek, now named Cardston. Charles moved to Canada in 1887, starting another saw mill. After settling in Canada, Charles also oversaw the construction of irrigation ditches, his greatest accomplishment being the construction of the Kimball Lethbridge Canal. He died September 9, 1906. He left thirty-nine journals dating from December 11, 1871 to July 9, 1903 describing his experiences in Canada. During his travels, he met Judge Haynes from Osoyoos.
John Alfred (Alf) Flett and his wife Agnes Maud Flett were photographers and journalists on Vancouver Island. Alf Flett was a descendant of one of the Cowichan district's first pioneer families; he farmed and logged before becoming a photographer. The Fletts operated their photography business, Flett Studio Ltd., in different locations, including Duncan (at 35 Station Street), Langford and Lantzville. As journalists they were regular contributors to television news for 25 years.
The Fletts moved to Nanaimo in 1960 , where Alf was active in civic affairs and served as an alderman from 1980-1984. He was also a well known ornithologist.
Alf Flett was born in Duncan in 1912 and died in Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria, on March 11, 1991.