William Carr was a resident of California who took a boat trip through the Strait of Georgia around 1949-50. In 1995 he donated two rolls of black and white 35 mm film to the Museum shot during this trip for their historical value and possible educational use by First Nations communities.
John Murdoch Buchanan was born in Steveston, British Columbia and in 1917 was one of the University's earliest graduates. He went into business and, in 1928, joined British Columbia Packers Ltd. He helped to organize the Alumni Association and became its President in 1949. He served both on UBC's Senate and Board of Governors, and in 1966 he was elected Chancellor. He served as UBC Chancellor until 1969 and, in 1970, received an honorary doctorate.
Charles Beresford Bourne was born in Barbados in 1921. He married Barbara (daughter of Glenville and Dorothy Farmer) on 20 August 1949. The Bournes have three children: Frances, Peter, and Angela. Charles Bourne received post-secondary degrees from the University of Toronto (BA 1945) and St. John's College, Cambridge (LLM, 1947), and the University of Toronto (SJD 1970). He was called to the Bars of Middle Temple (1947), Barbados (1949), and British Columbia (1957). He began his academic career at the University of Saskatchewan in the College of Law in 1947. He remained there until 1950 when he accepted a position at the University of British Columbia, an associate professor from 1950-1957, and then a full professor. Bourne served as Academic-in-Residence of the legal Bureau Department of External Affairs, Ottawa (1971-72), Honorary Solicitor and member of the Board of Governors for Vancouver School of Theology (1971-80) and Editor-in-Chief of the Canadian Yearbook of International Law (1962-92). He also served as president of the Canadian British International Law Association (1961-64) and the Canadian Council of International Law (1978-80). Bourne was a member of the UBC Senate and served as an advisor to the President with responsibility for relations between the University and the Faculty Association (1975-1986). Bourne specialized in administrative, constitutional, and international law, emphasizing international drainage basins and environmental protection. He retired from UBC in 1986.
Albert C. Cooke was born in 1895 in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. He received his B.A. from the University of Manitoba in 1917, a B.A. (1923) and an M.A. (1926) from Oxford. Cooke served in the army during World War I. After his discharge from the army, Cooke embarked on a lengthy teaching career at several institutions including Wesley College, Winnipeg (1919-1921, 1924-1929), Brandon Collegiate Institute (1923-1924), and the University of Manitoba (1928-1929). Cooke taught in the Department of History at the University of British Columbia between 1929 and 1963. Albert Cooke died in 1986.
Charles E. Borden, the grandfather of British Columbia archaeology, was born in New York City on May 15, 1905. Shortly after that, he accompanied his widowed mother to her family home in Germany, where he was raised. At the age of 22, after accidentally discovering he was an American citizen, Borden returned to the United States. He enrolled at the University of California at Los Angeles, from which he received his B. A. for German Literature in 1932. He continued his German studies at the Berkeley campus of the University of California. He later secured an M.A. in 1933 and a Ph.D. in 1937. In addition, he held a brief teaching assignment at Reed College in Portland, Oregon. Borden joined the Department of German faculty at the University of British Columbia in 1939 and remained a member until his retirement.
As a result of various circumstances, including the difficulty of securing research materials from Germany during World War II and the post-war period, Borden became increasingly more interested in a subject closer to home, the archaeology of British Columbia. Borden began his archaeological career with a small privately funded dig in the Point Grey area in 1945. He gradually expanded the scope of his archaeological research to include major surveys throughout the province, salvage archaeology and in-depth studies of Fraser Canyon and Delta areas. In 1949 he was appointed Lecturer in Archaeology in the Department of Sociology and Archaeology at the University of British Columbia while retaining his German department responsibilities.
From 1949 to 1978, Borden established a highly respected and internationally visible presence in archaeology as an instructor, an author, an editor, a researcher, and a spokesman for his chosen discipline throughout the balance of his career. His publications reflect his principal interest in archaeology, cultural-historical synthesis. He developed the Uniform Site Designation Scheme, which has been adopted in most of Canada. In addition to his academic contributions to archaeology, Borden also devoted considerable energy to securing provincial legislation to protect archaeological sites. In conjunction with Wilson Duff, he was responsible for the passage in British Columbia of the 1960 Archaeological and Historic Sites Protection Act and the creation of the Archaeological sites Advisory Board. Borden married Alice Victoria Witkin in 1931. They had two sons, John Harvey and Richard Keith. Alice Borden pioneered the development of numerous new techniques in pre-school education throughout the 1950s and 1960s. Her papers are available at the University of British Columbia Archives. Alice Borden predeceased her husband in 1971. In 1976 Borden married his second wife, Hala. Charles E. Borden died Christmas afternoon 1978, having that morning completed editing a chapter in a book on the prehistory of Northwest Coast art.
Bertram Charles Binning (1909-1976) was born in Medicine Hat, Alberta and grew up in Vancouver, where he later attended art school before pursuing his studies in Oregon, Greenwich Village, New York and London. He joined the University of British Columbia School of Architecture in 1949 after many years as an instructor at the Vancouver School of Arts. In 1955, Binning became head of the Department of Fine Arts, which he had helped establish. He resigned from the position in 1968 to devote more time to teaching and painting. Binning retired from the University in 1973. He was involved in the founding of the Department of Fine Arts, the development of the UBC Fine Arts Gallery, the initiation of the Brock Hall Collection of Canadian Art, the conception and direction of the Festival of Contemporary Arts, and the negotiations for the planning of the Nitobe Memorial Garden.
Born in Calgary, Alberta, Earle Birney was educated in British Columbia, Toronto and California. He lectured in English at the University of Toronto from 1936 to 1941 when he left to serve overseas. After the war, he worked for the CBC in 1945, and in 1946 he joined the Department of English at the University of British Columbia, where he taught the first credit course in creative writing offered by a Canadian university. During the next two decades, Birney added more writing courses and tutorials to the curriculum. In 1964 he became editor of the literary magazine Prism International and affiliated it with the creative writing programme. Birney retired from UBC in 1965 to become a writer-in-residence at Scarborough College at the University of Toronto – soon after he left, UBC officially established the programme he founded as the Department of Creative Writing.
He was a well-known poet and writer, publishing novels, volumes of poetry, short stories, essays and plays. His honours include the Governor General's medal for poetry (twice); the Lorne Pierce gold medal for Literature, the University of Ontario President's medal for poetry; and the Stephen Leacock medal for humourous writing (for his novel Turvey). Birney died in September 1995.
The Budd family were part-owners of the building known as "The Gables" at 5700-5736 University Boulevard, in the commercial area near UBC known as the "University Village." Henry Budd was involved in the construction of the building and was later a member of the "University Hill Syndicate," which owned the property.
Anne Carroll (née Caruk) was born on July 9th, 1934, in Manitoba. She attended University in Winnipeg and, in 1956, joined the RCAF in Vancouver. In 1988 and 1989, Ann Carroll interviewed seven members of the Faculty Womens Association. Interviewees included: Bea Wood, Violet Eagles, Alex (Alexandra) Hrennikoff, Marjorie Peebles, Maebritt Jeffels, Helen B. Akrigg and Jo Robinson. Each of the women speaks about their own life and career and their involvement with the Faculty Women's Club.
Frank Buck was born in Colchester, England, where he received his early schooling and initial training, mostly in the printing business and journalism. On coming to Canada in 1902, he worked as an associate editor on a newspaper and maintained a private practice in landscaping work. Buck later entered Macdonald College, graduating with a BSA in 1911. Buck obtained a Diploma from Cornell University. From 1912 to 1920, he served as Assistant Dominion Horticulturalist in charge of landscape architecture and floriculture work at the Central Experimental Farm in Ottawa. When the University of British Columbia required an ornamental horticulturalists in 1920, Buck was selected to handle the tremendous task of landscaping the University campus. He was also active in town planning work and belonged to numerous associations. He officially retired from the UBC faculty in 1949 but maintained his interest in campus development in an advisory capacity.
Frank Gnup, head coach of football at the University of British Columbia, was born in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, in 1917. He attended Manhattan College in New York, from which he graduated in 1941 with a B.Sc. in physical education. He played football while at Manhattan, and in 1939 got an all-American honourable mention. At the time, he also played professionally under an assumed name. From 1941 to 1945, he served in the armed forces as a coach. Although drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1945, Gnup joined the old Ontario Rugby Football Union's Hamilton Wildcats as a playing coach. When the Wildcats merged with the Hamilton Tigers in 1950, he then joined the Toronto Argonauts. In 1955, Gnup came to the University of British Columbia, where from 1955 to 1973, he coached the Thunderbirds. After 1973, Gnup remained at UBC in semi-retirement, teaching physical education and coaching baseball and golf. Gnup's character, appearance and philosophy made him an institution on campus. Gravelly-voiced and cigar smoking, he chaperoned a whole generation of young men. His coaching record at UBC was 55 wins, 102 losses and five ties. He was well known for his generosity, acting as a father confessor, counsellor, and job finder for his students. For many years, the Annual Frank Gnup Pigskin Award Banquet was the highlight of the athletic season at UBC. On this occasion, Gnup handed out awards inspired by some of the worst plays of the team. He manufactured the gifts at his home workshop from discarded items. Frank T. Gnup died in Vancouver on September 27, 1976.
Donald Bruce Fields was born in Victoria, BC in 1922. While serving during the Second World War he completed an MBA at UBC and later became a Commerce and Business Administration professor at the University, retiring in 1984. A specialist in taxation, he served as Research Supervisor overseeing the Personal Tax Project, a Royal Commission on Taxation component. The Royal Commission was appointed in September 1962 by Order in Council P.C. a 962-1334, under part 1 of the Inquiries Act and on the prime minister's recommendation.
Harold Copp was born in Toronto, Ontario, on January 16, 1915, to parents Charles and Edith (née O'Hara) Copp. After beginning post-secondary studies in physics and chemistry at the University of Toronto, his family was struck by tragedy when a burglar killed his older brother in the family home. Copp decided to pursue the same subject his brother had been studying before his death and transferred his interests to medicine. He completed both an MD (University of Toronto) and a doctorate in biochemistry (University of California at Berkeley). After graduating in 1943, Copp was recruited to work on the Manhattan Project, where he and his team focused on the impact of radiation on bone marrow in humans. He remained at Berkeley as an instructor after World War II, maintaining his interest in bone metabolism. Copp returned to Canada in 1950, joining the University of British Columbia faculty as the first Head of the Department of Physiology. In 1961, he discovered a previously unrecognized hormone that aided in calcium regulation, which he called Calcitonin. It is this discovery that Copp is best known for, and Calcitonin quickly becomes essential in the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, rheumatoid arthritis and hypercalcemia. Although officially retiring in 1980, he maintained his laboratory at UBC until 1993.
Copp received many honours and awards for his achievements throughout the years. Examples include the Jacob Biely Research Prize, the Gairdner Award, the Flavelle Medal, and honorary doctorates from Acadia University, the University of Ottawa, the University of Toronto, Queen's University and UBC. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society and the Royal Society of Canada and an Officer of the Order of Canada. He was inducted as a charter member into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame in 1994 and was also posthumously inducted into the Canadian Science and Engineering Hall of Fame in 2000. Also, Copp held many professional offices, including that of President of the Canadian Physiological Society, President of the Faculty Association of UBC, President of the National Cancer Institute of Canada, and President of the Academy of Science, Royal Society of Canada. Harold Copp married Winnifred Thompson on July 15, 1939, and over the years, the couple had three daughters, Mary, Carolyn and Pat. He died on March 17, 1998.
Margaret Anchoretta Ormsby was born in 1909 in Quesnel but spent most of her childhood in the Okanagan Valley. In 1925, she enrolled at UBC, earning a B.A. (1929) and M.A. (1931) in History. Ormsby began her Ph.D. at Bryn Mawr in 1931, interrupting her studies between 1934 and 1936 to work as a teaching assistant in the Department of History at UBC. After completing her Ph.D. in 1936, she taught in the United States for three years. In 1940, Ormsby became a lecturer in the History Department of McMaster University. She returned to UBC to teach in 1943, becoming a professor in 1955 and the Head of the History Department in 1965. She held the position of head until she retired from the University in 1974. During the 1970ʹs, Ormsby taught courses at the University of Toronto and the University of Western Ontario. Between 1960 and 1967, she chaired the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. In addition, Ormsby made several literary contributions to the field of Canadian history, including "British Columbia: A History" (1958) commemorating the centennial of the designation of B.C. as a crown colony, "A Pioneer Gentle Woman in British Columbia: The Recollections of Susan Allison" (1976), and "Coldstream ‐ Nulli Secundus" (1990), as well as numerous entries to journals and encyclopedias. She received honorary doctorates from each of the major universities in B.C. and the Insignia of the Order of British Columbia. Margaret Ormsby died in 1996.
Edward S. Pretious was born in Calcutta, India. He obtained his B.A.Sc. in Civil Engineering from the University of British Columbia (1929) and M.Sc. in Hydraulics from Iowa State University (1939). He joined the Department of Civil Engineering at UBC in 1940, remaining there until his retirement in the early 1970s. Interested in hydraulic engineering and research projects relating to fish conservation in B.C., Pretious headed the Fraser River Model Project (1948-1961) and the Vancouver Harbour and Burrard Inlet Model Project (1953-1956). The Fraser River Model Project was designed to help improve navigation on the Fraser River Estuary. Located on a three-acre site on the western edge of the Point Grey campus, the project was a hydraulic, erodible-bed, tidal river model and one of the largest in the world. The Vancouver Harbour - Burrard Inlet Project had the primary objective of determining the effects on currents, tides, and navigation of proposed dredging in the First Narrows. A pilot model of the First Narrows was built by the National Research Council of Canada, in cooperation with UBC, on the site of the Fraser River Model, near the Arboretum.
Eileen Flanagan was born in Pontiac County, Québec. After graduating from high school, she completed the nursing course at the Royal Victoria Hospital and later undertook post-graduate studies in England. Flanagan was selected to be the first Director of Nursing at the Montreal Neurological Institute, where she remained until her retirement in 1961. After retiring, Flanagan entered the Faculty of Law at McGill, where she concentrated on the nursing profession's legal aspects.
Helen Manning was born in Prince Rupert in 1921, grew up in Victoria and attended UBC in Vancouver for her third and fourth years. She earned a B.A in 1943. At UBC she met and married Philip Akrigg [1913-2001] who taught in the English Department. Akrigg wrote her Master's Thesis on the History and Economic Development of the Shuswap Area in 1964. The couple had three children, Marian, Daphne and Mark. They owned a lakeshore lot on Shuswap Lake at Celista and spent summers there.
The Akriggs co-authored 1001 British Columbia Place Names, British Columbia Place Names and two volumes of British Columbia Chronicle.
George Harry Cannon (1919-1981) completed his B.A. at the University of British Columbia in 1948; he began working as an assistant in the Department of Physics (1947-1950). In 1954, he completed a Master of Science degree and, in 1958, he completed a Bachelor of Education both at UBC. Cannon taught mathematics and science in Vancouver elementary and secondary schools before joining the Faculty of Education in 1959. In 1961, Cannon was promoted to assistant professor and promoted to full professor in 1970. Between 1972 and 1975, Cannon took a leave of absence from UBC to work as a UNESCO advisor in the British Solomon Islands Protectorate. Cannon resumed work as a professor in the Faculty of Education until his death in June 1981. Cannon was an active member of several professional organizations, a member of the Burnaby Parks Board, and was responsible for establishing track and field and rugby clubs in the Vancouver area.
Lois Bewley was born in Regina, Saskatchewan, in 1927, and completed her undergraduate degree at the University of British Columbia in 1947. She then went on to study library science, graduating from the University of Toronto with a BLS (1949) and later from the University of Illinois with an MSLS (1966). After working as a librarian and lecturing in the field, Bewley joined the School of Librarianship at UBC in 1969. She worked extensively in various professional associations, including the British Columbia Library Association and the Canadian Library Association. She was involved on numerous committees and panels in British Columbia and the Greater Vancouver Regional District. Interested in legislation affecting the financing and structure of public libraries in general, Bewley was active in the 1970s in the Library Development Commission, which sought to restructure public libraries in British Columbia.
Lyle Creelman (née Morrison) was born in Nova Scotia and earned a Bachelor of Applied Science from the University of British Columbia and a Master of Arts Degree from Columbia University. Within two years of graduating, Creelman became Director of Public Health Nursing for the City of Vancouver. Shortly after that, she became President of the Registered Nurses Association of British Columbia. For the next twenty-four years, she established national and international standards for accomplishments in the field of nursing. Some of these achievements included: Chief Medical Officer for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration in the British zone of occupied Germany, where she pioneered specialized nurses’ training programs; Chief Nursing Officer with the World Health Organization, where she won acceptance for a philosophy of improved third world health care through adequate training of local workers; and co-author of the “Ballie-Creelman Report,” which was accepted for many years as the primary reference for the preparation of public health professionals in Canada. Creelman’s accomplishments resulted in various forms of recognition, including the Medal of Service of the Order of Canada (1971), the Canadian Centennial Medal (1967) and Honorary Doctorate Degrees from both the University of New Brunswick in 1963 and from the University of British Columbia in 1992. Lyle Creelman died in Vancouver on February 27th, 2007.
One of the University of British Columbia's most distinguished chemists, Robert H. Clark, was born in Blythe, Ontario and received his university education at the University of Toronto (M.A. 1906) and the University of Leipzig (Ph.D. 1909). After teaching for seven years in American universities, he joined UBC's Department of Chemistry in 1916. Clark was appointed head of the department in 1927, which he held until his retirement in 1948.
Born in Vancouver, Robert James Clark completed his graduate work in Physics at McGill University and Canterbury. He returned to Vancouver and joined the University of British Columbia’s Department of Physics in 1947 and remained active there until the early 1970s.
Born in Calgary in 1913, George Philip Vernon Akrigg received a B.A. (1937) and M.A. (1940) from the University of British Columbia and his Ph.D. from the University of California (1944). He began his UBC teaching career in the Dept. of English in 1941. The author of many scholarly articles and books, Akrigg continued his research in British Columbia history after his retirement in 1978. He died in 2001.
Michael Ames was born in Vancouver and attended the University of British Columbia, where he graduated with a B.A. in Anthropology in 1956. He continued his education at Harvard University, earning his Ph.D. in Social Anthropology in 1961. Ames returned to UBC as an assistant professor in 1964, rising to full professor in 1970. In addition to his work in the department, Ames also became Director of the Museum of Anthropology (MOA) in 1974. From 1974 to 1976, Ames was president of the Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute, which was established in 1968 with funding from the Government of India to promote Indian studies in Canada. A recipient of the Simon Guggenheim Fellowship in 1970-1971, Ames was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1979 and promoted as a Fellow of the Society for Applied Anthropology in 1996. Ames also has an extensive list of publications in a broad range of topics, from religion and social organizations in South Asia, First Nations issues to museums and popular culture, including the monograph Cannibal Tours & Glass Boxes: The Anthropology of Museums, published by the University of British Columbia in 1993.
Ames retired from the MOA directorship at the end of June 1997 and received emeritus professor status in 1998. From 1998 to 2002, Ames co-taught with adjunct professor Jim Green several undergraduate anthropology courses on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. He also chaired the Dean of Arts First Nations Language Programme advisory committee from 1998 to 2002. In 2002, in cooperation with Associate Dean Margery Fee and the Musqueam Band Council, a joint "Musqueam 101" seminar at Musqueam, which is loosely patterned after the Humanities 101 programme and is funded by the Provost's Office. In July 2002, Ames returned to the MOA as Acting Director for one year, which was then extended to August 2004.
Arthur Evan Boss graduated from UBC as part of the Arts ’21 class. He then completed an M.A. in Chemistry in 1923. Following graduation, he appears to have gone to the United States. The 1932 edition of the Graduate Chronicle listed him among the alumni with whom the organization had “lost contact.” In 1937 he was listed as a research chemist for the Columbia Alkali Corp. in Barberton, Ohio. According to the American Chemical Society, Boss died on May 18, 1949.