Showing 4 results

authority records
Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre Community life

Red Mountain Ski Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1940-1997

In 1947 the Trail and Rossland ski clubs amalgamated and became the Red Mountain Ski Club. Chuck Sankey was the first president. They built the first chair lift on Red Mountain in the same year, which was the record chairlift in all of Western Canada. The wooden tower lift would run until 1973, when it was replaced by a steel tower Mueller lift. At the base of Red Mountain, they built a lodge in the autumn of 1947. Nancy Greene, a two-time winner of the World Cup (1967 and 1968) and Olympic champion (1968), was a member of the club. The club hosted the World Cup in 1968, which was the first time a World Cup was held in Canada. Nancy Greene won the Giant Slalom. In 1965, the Granite Mountain Lift was built in Paradise Basin, on the west side of Granite Mountain. The RMSC again hosted a World Cup even in 1988. In 1989 ownership of RMSC and all its facilities were bought by Eric Skat-Peterson. In 2004 it was sold again, this time to Howard Katkov.

Sacred Heart Catholic Church

  • Corporate body
  • 1892-

As early as 1892, a traveling priest named Reverend Father Bedard visited the Rossland mining camp on his missionary circuit and conducted mass. Bedard was followed by Father Peylavin two years later in 1894. Father Lemay became the resident priest in 1895, and at this time mass was held wherever possible. The first Catholic Church in Rossland was built by a contractor named McCarthy in October 1895. A bell was installed in the tower in late 1900, after being shipped from England. In 1902, Father Welsh purchased land on the corner of Butte and Columbia to build a new church and turn the current church into a school. This plan was put on hold until 1915 when it was completed under the supervision and leadership of Father MacIntyre who replaced Father Welsh in 1912. Sacred Heart Catholic Church opened in 1915. The parish rectory was purchased in 1922. The Parish Hall was built across the street from the church in 1930. In the 1960s, the Father MacIntyre Centre (also called the Catechism Centre) was built beside the Parish Hall. In 1997, the priest position was reduced to part-time. Plans to renovate Sacred Heart Church and create a community multipurpose space were approved in 2012. The Parish Hall and Father MacIntyre Centre were sold in 2013 to pay for the renovations.

Rossland Light Opera Players

  • Corporate body
  • 1951-present

The Rossland Light Opera Players is a society in Rossland, BC. It was formed in 1951 by music teacher Bill Baldry and fellow Rossland teachers George Griffin and Margery Littely (nee Hall). The original goals were to encourage music, theatre, and enunciated arts as well as present musical dramas of the opera genre. R.L.O.P. had put on a production almost annually since it was founded. Other important members have included Babs and George Bourchier, Jack Fisher, and Charles Bailey. Currently, they occupy the Bodega Hotel building on Washington Street.

Jubilee Park and Playing Field Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1986-1987

In 1986 and 1987 there were numerous meetings held by the Jubilee Park and Playing Field committee concerning the proposed upgrade of the Jubilee Park for Rossland Secondary School (now Rossland Summit School). They proposed a slight leveling and raising of the field, a double soccer field, jogging track, tennis court, and basketball court. Cook Pickering & Doyle Ltd. surveyed and presented comments and recommendations on the geotechnical matters affecting improved drainage for the playing fields. Members of the advisory committee included Jean Cormack, Hugo Smecher, Lloyd McLellan, Harry Lefevre, Stan Fisher, Iain Martin, and Jack Richardson. Ultimately, the plans never went ahead, possibly due to lack of funding by the Ministry of Education.