Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Church of Our Lord
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Church of Our Lord was established on October 29, 1874 by Rev. Edward Cridge. Cridge was sent to the colonial outpost of Fort Victoria in 1855 as Chaplain to the Hudson's Bay Company. Rev. Cridge played a major role in establishing the Anglican church in Victoria and later became Dean of Christ Church Cathedral. Doctrinal differences resulted in Cridge and his large following creating a new congregation in the fall of 1874 and, in keeping with its evangelical principles, the new church affiliated with the Reformed Episcopal Church of America.
The Church Of Our Lord building was completed in 1875 and dedicated on Sunday, January 16, 1876. The land and organ were donated by a founding member, Sir James Douglas, Chief Factor of the Hudson's Bay Company, and later Governor of the Colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia. The church was designed by John Teague, who later became Mayor of Victoria. The building, of board and batten construction in the Carpenter Gothic style, was declared a Federal Heritage Building in 1998 and over the next five years underwent a major restoration.
The Church of Our Lord retains an active presence in the Victoria community to this day.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created July 14, 2009