In 1877 Thomas Kingsberry pre-empted District Lot 150 in the North Okanagan.The Lambly brothers, Thomas and Robert, took over the pre-emption in 1883. In 1883 Belvidere town-site, a government reserve bordering the Shuswap River and DL150, was opened for sale. The Lambly brothers and their brother-in-law purchased the lots. The brothers began to subdivide DL150 in 1885, with the first lot of 10 acres sold for a gristmill. The name "Enderby" was chosed when the community received its first post office in 1887. Industry was attracted to the area, primarily due to its location on the Spallumcheen (Shuswap) River. A flour mill, brickyard, and sawmill were located within the District Lot boundaries. The City of Enderby was incorporated on March 1, 1905, with a population of 500 residents. The first mayor was George Bell. Aldermen included Robert P. Bradley, Joseph W. Evans, Noah Kenny, George Sharpe, and Edward Smith. Graham Rosoman was the first City Clerk, as well as the Police Magistrate and Stipendiary Magistrate. Provincial Police Constable Basil Gardom was hired as a part-time City Policeman. From the onset, the new council was immersed in civic problems. Economic development, taxation, bylaws, policing, animal control, sidewalk construction, public health and improved water system issues demanded their immediate attention. In 1914 the community lost most of its young male population to the war effort. As a result, the flourmill closed and the sawmill, which had been forced to reduce production, was later forced to close in 1922. The sawmill closure caused further problems for the city, especially since it was the main producer of electricty for the city. In order to produce sufficient electrical power for city residents, the City was forced to build its own diesel generating plant. This plant continued to operate until 1929. Without any strong industrial base, Enderby entered a major economic depression, which continued until World War II. Much of the property reverted to the City in lieu of taxes. At one point during the 1930s, the City Foreman and City Clerk held off on their pay cheques for 10 months, until the City could afford to pay them. Following World War II, the City's fortunes reversed as a sawmill and several poleyards began to provide a stronger economic base. Development occurred to the north and west of the city. The water system was upgraded and a sewer system installed.Today (1998), the City of Enderby holds elections every three years for mayor and six councillors. The population is 2800.