Series - Constitution

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper


General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description


    Reference code

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • 1888 (Creation)
      Delta Agricultural Society

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    1 cm of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator


    Biographical history

    The Delta Agricultural Society was founded in 1888, at a meeting of farmers chaired by William Ladner. The first executive consisted of John Kirkland, President; J.C. Calhoun, Vice-President; H.N. Rich, Secretary; and the following Directors: William Pybus, J.A. Paterson, John McKee Jr., William Arthur and P.W. Swett. The society was incorporated under a special act in 1888 and re-incorporated in 1916 under the "Agricultural Associations Act, 1914." The society's objectives were to encourage the raising of improved stock; the use of the best methods in cultivation of the soil, and to foster household arts. The society petitioned the government for 24 acres of the Trennant Public School reserve to be used as an agricultural show ground and for erecting buildings, and, subsequently, the Delta Agricultural Society obtained a 25 year lease on the property now known as Paterson Park. The Society obtained title to the property in 1902. In 1899, the society built the Delta Agricultural Hall and used it for farm fairs until the 1920s. In order to further one of the society's goals, improving the breeding of horses, the land they acquired from the government was developed into a racetrack for harness racing and the races were held until 1968. The Delta Trotting and Pacing Association and Delta Driving Park Association were created to support the interests of and were directed by members of the Delta Agricultural Society. The society sold portions of Paterson Park to Kwantlen College in 1993 and the Corporation of Delta in 1999. Although the Society no longer operates the racetrack or Paterson Park, it is one of the major funders of community works in Delta. Between 1994 and 1998, the society donated more than 1.3 million dollars to community groups, facilities and projects, including the Delta Hospital, McKee House Senior Recreation Centre, Delta Farmland and Wildlife Trust, and the Delta Museum and Archives.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Consists of the original handwritten constitution of the Delta Agricultural Society, 1888.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition


    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials

        Related materials


        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions



        Level of detail


        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        June 26, 2014

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area