Fonds MS 57 - Corporation of the Village of Lytton fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Corporation of the Village of Lytton fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1944-1990 (Creation)
    Lytton (B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

On Nov. 30, 1944, at a meeting of the rate payers of Lytton, incorporation was discussed. At that time, Lytton had three commissioners: A.C. Whitley, Alex Strang, and M.A.Dyce, and a citizens committee: Dr. J.P. Ellis, Alex Strang, A. Medori, Chas. Arnold, and C. Rebagliati. It was decided that both groups merge, with A. Strang as chairman and M.A. Dyce as secretary. In the Letters Patent of May 3rd, 1945, John P. Ellis, Alex Strang and M.A.Dyce were appointed as Board of Commissioners of the municipality, who should hold office until the first annual election of Dec. 1945. On July 16, 1945, M.A. Dyce resigned as secretary because he was a non-property owner. The first Village clerk was B.G. Forsythe. Election day, 1945, the new commissioners elected were A.C. Whitley, F.R. Bailey and S.E. Keeble. A.C. Whitley was elected Chairman of the Board of Commissioners for the 1946 term. Miss Ann C. Rebagliati was hired as the Village Clerk. Over the years the longest serving Mayors have been Thomas Taverna, 1949-1969; Vic Loring 1974-1984; and Joseph A. Chute, 1985-1999.

Custodial history

Copies of the Letters Patent were obtained from the Village office, copies of the Early Council minutes were obtained from J.A. Chute and the file on the Celebrations '50' was obtained from Peggy Chute, secretary for the group, under the auspices of the Village.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of documents pertaining to Village activites. Includes copies of the Letters Patent for the incorporation of the Village and boundary extensions, minutes and notes for the Celebrations '50', a celebration of the village's 50th anniversary, and early Council meeting minutes.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: LMA-3526

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres