The District of Cowichan Lake Hospital Association was organized to promote the establishment of a hospital at Lake Cowichan. The Association was formed on June 11, 1954 to take pledges to build a hospital through contributions and payroll deductions. The acting chairman was George Wilson and the 1st chairman was Jim Cairnie. A Ways & Means committee as well as a Site committee was struck. The Kiwanis Club led the attempt to establish the hospital and over one hundred thousand dollars was raised. The Provincial Government failed to support the plan, however, and the plan was unsuccessful. The money was returned to the donors.