Priest, seminary professor, church administrator, and Archdeacon in the Diocese of New Westminster, Douglas Percy Watney was born on August 10, 1905, in Florida, U.S.A. Born to an English family, the family went back to England where he spent his early childhood. He returned to British Columbia and graduated from the University of British Columbia with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1925. He graduated from the Anglican Theological College (ATC) in 1927 and was ordained deacon the same year. Ordained priest in 1929, he left the province that year to begin an honors course in the Philosophy of religion at the Selwyn College in Cambridge. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1931 and Master of Arts in 1945 at Cambridge, England. He did not spend all the time at his books while in England. He assisted in the parish of Wimbledon and at Southwark Cathedral, England, during his vacations. During one vacation period, he was chaplain to the Bishop of Europe in Switzerland and Belgium. In 1937 D. P. Watney married Gertrude May Smith of New Denver. They moved to Vancouver, B.C. where they lived until his death on September 26, 1987. As a recognition of his extensive contribution to theological curriculum development and education, the Anglican Theological College of B.C. awarded him with the title of Doctor Honoris Causa in 1948. From 1931 to 1951 he taught at the Anglican Theological College of B.C. (ATC). Between 1951 and 1961 he was the rector at St. Anselm's Parish, Vancouver. Missionary Archdeacon of New Westminster from 1960 to 1966 and Archdeacon of Vancouver between 1966 and 1970, Mr. Watney served as Deputy Prolocutor for the General Synod of Canada from 1962 to 1965 and Prolocutor between 1965 and 1967. In 1970 he resigned the position of Archdeacon of Vancouver to be the first person appointed to the position of National Consultant on Theological Education. His task was to oversee the implementing of the General Synod report on Theological Education in the 70's. The same year he received the title of Honourary Archdeacon. In 1972 he officially retired. After retirement, he was the administrator of the Vancouver School of Theology for several years and in 1983 he was appointed to the School's Senate. D.P. Watney's fonds reflect the most important activities to which he dedicated his whole life: theological education, religious mission and personal contributions to Diocesan life. The material on education reflects Watney's involvement in theological training. During his study period at Selwyn College, he was also appointed as professor of Apologetics, Church History and Comparative Religion at ATC. Holding honourary appointments with the University of British Columbia, D.P. Watney strengthened the relationships between ATC and the university. As a member of various Diocesan committees (particularly the Diocesan Board of Religious Education), he played a major role in changes made to the Bible curriculum taught in public schools during the 1940's. His contribution to the constitution and the implementation of the merger of the Anglican Theological College and Union College was essential. Although the merger occurred near the time of his retirement, D.P. Watney helped with the development of a curriculum for a new ecumenical theological training school. He was deeply involved in the project "Principles of Union" (1965), that aimed for the unification of the Anglican Church and the United Church of Canada as a consequence of changes at the national level that occurred after the World War II. In his role as president of the Vancouver Council of Churches, he assisted in organizing and presided at the first B.C. Conference of Church Building and Architecture, held in Vancouver, 1960. From 1970 to 1975, he served also as chairman of the Advisory Committee for Provincial Ordinations (ACPO).