Consequent to a motion adopted at the 53rd session of the Synod held in May 1950, it was resolved that the "Synod take immediate steps to inaugurate a financial campaign to raise at least $150,000 for the expansion of the Church's work". The area that required particular attention was the administration and expansion of new parishes. A special committee of six clergy and six laymen was appointed by the Bishop. Named "Every Member Visitation and Canvass Committee", the committee was charged to study ways and means of expanding necessary Church work. The committee reported to the Diocesan Executive Committee which had the authority to act. Rev. H.J. Greig was appointed by the Bishop as the co-ordinator of the Canvass Committee. The onus of promoting canvass activities, however, fell upon the parish priests. At the special session of the Synod, held in Vancouver on December 12, 1950, Bishop Gower announced that: "from coast to coast, next month our Church will be engaged in a concerted effort to reach more of our members who for various reasons are out of touch with us". He called every parish, asking that every committee member in the parish to offer himself for canvassing. The committee ceased to exist in 1956.