The ratepayers of the Fort Steele School Board held their first meeting 17 June 1897 to elect three trustees: R.L Galbraith, H.H. Barnes, and T.T. McVittie. A site for the schoolhouse was chosen that year. Mr. F. Smith was appointed principal in 1899 and Miss Jessie Nicholson was appointed teacher in 1905. By 1933, two teachers, Miss Cairns and Miss Tully were employed.