Title and statement of responsibility area
Haney Women's Institute fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1915 - 1983 (Creation)
- Haney Women's Institute
Physical description area
22 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Haney Women's Institute was established in 1915, arising from the Women's Institute movement established in Ontario in 1897. Women's Institutes were founded to advocate for "domestic sciences" and "home economics", with the institutes in early Maple Ridge greatly involved in community service. The Women's Institute cared for the needy throughout the Great Depression and established a Well Baby Clinic, which provided immunizations and care at no cost to the community, before Public Health assumed responsibility for this activity in 1965.
The early records of the Haney Women's Institute were lost to a fire at the Oddfellows building in 1936. The organization was active until its 68th year, when it was disbanded.
The records of the Haney Women's Institute were typically kept in the custody of the secretary at any given time and passed on to the successor. The last recording secretary was Leona Krefting who donated the records and club seal as the club was in abeyance.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of incorporation papers and membership lists, guest book for 55th anniversary (1970), the Institute's Baby Clinic ledgers for 1953-1954 and 1958-1965, and receipt books from 1969-1983.
Immediate source of acquisition
It is unknown whether this fonds maintains its original order. General organizational records are arranged in chronological order, with files representing between 1 and 4 years of records.
The Well Baby Clinic records have been arranged into a discrete series within the fonds.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Original records are held at the Maple Ridge Museum and Community Archives.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
There have been 3 accessioned accruals in this fonds: 1988, 1992, and 2010.
No further accruals are expected but are possible.
BCAUL control number: MRM-1450
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Haney Women's Institute (Subject)