The Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire (IODE) is a Canadian women's charitable organization whose mission is to improve the quality of life for children, youth and those in need, through educational, social service and citizenship programs. Margaret Polson Murray founded the national level of this organization in 1900 in Montreal. The Order was originally named the Federation of the Daughters of the British Empire, and the Children of the Empire (Juvenile Branch). When the headquarters moved to Toronto in 1901 the Order became incorporated under the name the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire (IODE). In 1913 the Provincial Chapter of British Columbia was formally organized. The Malaspina (Nanaimo) Chapter received its Charter on February 8th, 1923. Early members include Katherine Vater, Toots McDonald, Margaret Martindale, Dorothy Weeks, Crystal Dunsmuir, Mary Trawford, Mary Sharp, Margaret Davidson, Helen Gordon, and Rae Cunliffe. Other local Chapters include the Bastion and Raymond Collishaw Chapters, both now defunct. Over the years Malaspina Chapter IODE members have volunteered their time and thousands of dollars toward numerous local projects in addition to participating in provincial and national IODE endeavours. Community efforts of the Chapter have included giving funds, items and or volunteer time to the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, Tillicum House, Salvation Army, 7-10 Society, Nanaimo Food Bank, Child Development Centre, Childrens Treatment Centre, Haven House, Military Museum, and Claytree Enterprises. The Chapter has also been actively involved in Canadian citizenship ceremonies and awarding annual bursaries to high school and post-secondary students.