Fonds - Kitsilano United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Kitsilano United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1907-1992 (Creation)
    Creator
    Kitsilano United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

2.25 m of textual records
ca. 200 photographs
1 audio recording

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1952-1992)

Administrative history

Kitsilano United Church was formed when St. Stephen’s United Church and Crosby United Church amalgamated in 1952. This new congregation met at the former Crosby United Church at Second Avenue and Larch Street. Plans for a new building began in 1956, and the replacement Kitsilano United Church building at Second and Larch was opened in November, 1959. In 1988, conversations regarding amalgamation of Kitsilano United Church and St. James United Church began, and amalgamation was completed in 1992. The new congregation, Trinity United Church, became a partner in a new building that they shared with St. Mark’s Anglican parish (also located at Second Avenue and Larch Street).

Name of creator

(1906-1925)

Administrative history

Presbyterian services in Kitsilano began in 1906 in a small store on Cornwall Avenue near Yew Street. Kitsilano Presbyterian Church was built in 1910 at the corner of Third Avenue and Vine Street. When the congregation entered church union in 1925, it became St. Stephen's United Church.

Name of creator

(1908-1925)

Administrative history

Methodist work in Kitsilano began in 1908 in a small school building at Fourth Avenue and Vine Street. Kitsilano Methodist church was built across the street in from a school at Fourth and Vine in 1909, and was dedicated in June of that year. In 1912, a new Kitsilano Methodist Church was built on the corner of Second Avenue and Larch Street. When the congregation entered church union in 1925, it became Crosby United Church.

Name of creator

(1913?-1925?)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1925-1952)

Administrative history

St. Stephen’s United Church was created when Kitsilano Presbyterian Church joined church union in 1925. Located at Third Avenue and Vine Street, the church amalgamated with Crosby United Church in 1952 to form Kitsilano United Church. This new congregation met at the former Crosby United Church.

In 1953, the area south of the Oakridge neighbourhood of Vancouver was growing and the Metropolitan Council for Church Extension purchased property at 54th Avenue and Heather Street with a view to establishing a new United Church congregation there. Survey work was done in the area, and in June 1958 a congregation was constituted, and an inaugural service was held at Trinity Baptist Church, where the St. Stephen's United Church continued to meet until November 1958.

In November the congregation examined the results of their survey work and decided to suspend all activities until they could find a more favourable location for their development. In June of 1960, a portable church building was erected at 52nd Avenue and Oak Street. This was the home of the newly restarted St. Stephen's congregation for three years. In November 1960, the congregation purchased new property at the corner of 54th Avenue and Granville Street. In January 1962, the congregation voted to proceed with the building project, and Presbytery endorsed this action in June. The new church building was dedicated in November 1964.

Name of creator

(1925-1952)

Administrative history

Crosby United Church was created when Kitsilano Methodist Church joined church union in 1925. Located at Second Avenue and Larch Street, the church amalgamated with St. Stephen’s United Church in 1952 to form Kitsilano United Church. This new congregation met at the former Crosby United Church.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Kitsilano United Church , Crosby United Church, St. Stephen's United Church, Kitsilano Congregational Church, Kitsilano Methodist Church and Kitsilano Presbyterian Church. Records include Baptismal registers (1914-1990), Marriage registers (1913-1986), Burial registers (1940-1992); Membership records (1907-1976); Session minutes (1916-1964), Board of Manager minutes (1907-1941), Official Board minutes (1941-1982), Council minutes (1973-1992), Trustees minutes (1909-1991), Congregational meetings minutes (1907-1952, 1983-1992), Christian Education Committee minutes (1968-1974), Kitsilano/St. James Amalgamation Committee minutes (1989-1992), Building Committee minutes (1910-1911); Correspondence (1910-1977); Woman's Guild minutes (1918-1922), Woman's Association minutes (1942-1961), Woman's Association financial records (1945-1952), Woman's Missionary Society records (1911-1961), United Church Women minutes (1962-1986); As One That Serves minutes (1948-1955), A.O.T.S. executive minutes (1955-1969); Sunday School records (1909-1985); Youth group records (1920-1965); Choir minutes (1911-1932); Congregational financial records (1924-1958); Property and legal records (1959-1991); Crosby United Church of Canada (scrapbooks) (1950); Historical reference material (1947-1991); Annual reports (1950-1991); Photographs (1959-1970); and Sound recordings (1959).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred in several installments to the Archives, in 1979, 1983, 1999, and 2011.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-333

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

VAN KI

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised June 8, 2016

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area