Fonds MG23 - Lake Cowichan Community Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lake Cowichan Community Club fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description


    Reference code

    CA KSM MG23

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • 1930-1934 (Creation)
      Lake Cowichan Community Club

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    5 cm of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Biographical history

    In 1929 United Church missionary, H.E. Gridley contacted several residents in regard to the building a hall suitable for the social life of the community. As a result of this survey a meeting was called and it was decided to build a hall. A subscription list was opened to raise funds to buy property. Dances were held at the Lakeside Hotel. The Lake Cowichan Community Club was incorporated on March 13, 1930 under the Societies Act and a month later two lots were purchased on Renfrew Ave. for one hundred dollars each. At a meeting held at Scholey's Store the first slate of officers was elected: President:W.F. Grosskleg; Vice President: F.G. Reed; Secretary: H. Potentier; Treasurer: H. Thomas; Governors: S. Scholey; A. Castley, M.L. Douglas and J. Morley. Committees were appointed including a building committee. The lots were cleared and the foundations were laid out. Mr. Douglas supervised the project and did the structural work while the remainder of the work was done by volunteers. The hall was completed within the year and officially opened March 7, 1931 with Premier Tolmie officiating. The objects of the society were to improve the social conditions of the community residing in and about the District of Lake Cowichan; to promote objects of a patriotic, religious and charitable character among the club members and to promote sports of all kinds. The mortgage was burned in April 1941.The hall was in much demand for church services, Boy Scouts and children's activities, meetings and public dances. The club sponsored Junior and Senior badminton. The IODE held its annual flower show there for many years. In 1958 the club gave four hundred dollars to Centennial Park. The Community Hall operated for 30 years until it became unsafe. On June 21, 1963 the hall and property were sold to the school board. The assets were given to the Village and the club disbanded. The school board used the hall as a storage place until it was demolished. On the site now (1997) is the Senior Citizens Centre which has been plaqued to commemorate the original site.

    Custodial history

    The donor's father Fred Reed was a founding member and the 1st vice president. Jim Reed gave the documents to the archives in 1984.

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of documents relating to the ongoing business of the club. The fonds consists of 4 series including minutes, charters, constitution/bylaws, accounts ledger and membership.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition


    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Series level descriptions available.

        Associated materials

        Related materials


        Alpha-numeric designations

        BCAUL control number: KSM-2180

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions


        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description


            Accession area