Walter John Lanning (1865-1913) emigrated from England to Victoria, British Columbia, in 1894. He married Gertrude Millicent Weare (1873-1962) in Victoria in 1895. They moved to Ladner in 1898 where "Jack" Lanning was employed in the hardware department of Thos. McNeely's store. The firm of Lanning, Fawcett & Wilson was formed in 1908 to operate a general store of that name. After the death of W.S.Lanning in 1913, Gertrude continued as a "silent partner". The general store (also known as the Big Store) continued in operation until 1945. The Lannings had 6 children: Mabel, Roland, Harold, Walter, and Marjorie (a 7th child Sydney died in infancy), all growing up in the community of Ladner. Marjorie married F.P. Levirs and their daughter Jean married Peter L. Smith. Mabel, Roland and Walter all were prominent at the University of British Columbia as librarians or in library education.