In 1954, the Nanaimo Gun Club and the Nanaimo Fish and Game
Association officially merged to become the Nanaimo and District Fish and Game Protective Association. A form of the club had been in existence as early as 1905 when a a local group organized in response to a provincial government plan to sell all hunting rights on Vancouver Island to American interests.
The club promotes fishing, hunting and other outdoor recreational pursuits and wildlife conservation. The NDFGPA also teaches the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation program (CORE) and works cooperatively with provincial agencies on the Vancouver Island marmot project, deer counts, lake and stream monitoring, and elk relocations. In addition, many members serve on various regional, provincial and national Boards and Committees dealing with wildlife
and fisheries management issues.