Fonds - Presbyterian Church of Richmond/Marpole fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Presbyterian Church of Richmond/Marpole fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1885-1968 (Creation)
      Creator
      Presbyterian Church of Richmond/Marpol

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    4.5 cm of textual materials (3 v.)

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1886 -)

    Administrative history

    The first Presbyterian service was held by Rev. John Hall at the home of Hugh McRoberts on Sea Island in May 1861. The Union Church was built in Marpole (Vancouver) in 1871, its moniker deriving from the fact it served Presbyterians, Anglicans, and Methodists. The first Presbyterian church edifice was opened on July 4 1886 on Sea Island with Rev Robert Jamison officiating, a month before the Presbyterian Church in Vancouver was dedicated. The church was built in New Westminster and was floated down the Fraser River to the eastern shore of Sea Island and placed at the foot of Miller Road. The two churches were then overseen by Rev. T. G. Thompson. The Sea Island church burned down in the early 1930’s.

    Custodial history

    The records were in the possession of Ms. Betty Goodwin who acted on the behalf of the church as the unofficial caretaker of these archival records until they were transfered to the archives in 1998.

    Scope and content

    The fonds consists of 3 bound volumes of baptismal and session records. The records capture event at the Marpole and Sea Island churches.
    The records have been arranged in two series: Baptismal Records (1885-1968) and Sessional Records (1885-1935).

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    The records were microfilmed in 1998. It is recommended that, for research purposes, the microfilms be consulted in order to preserve the originals.

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area