The Radio Society at the University of British Columbia was initiated in 1937 as a result of the Student Publicity Campaign. Founding members began working on "Varsity Time", an information variety show broadcast on CJOR that promoted the activities and goals of the University. In 1938, UBC Radio officially became a club within the Literary and Scientific Executive. During the 1940's and 1950's, the Radio Society (as it became known in 1942) worked with local radio stations to produce and broadcast programs highlighting University news and events. In 1950, the Radio Society began its first independent closed circuit broadcasts to the University residences. By 1968, the Radio Society, then alternately known as CYVR, was broadcasting to a wider area through the use of carrier current. Due a new regulation by the CRTC requiring the licensing of carrier current stations, CYVR was closed down for six months in 1974 for operating without a license. The station resumed broadcasting later that year as CiTR. In 1980, CiTR changed status from a club to a service organization in recognition of the role it plays in campus life. CiTR received a low power FM license in 1982, and a standard high power license in 1988. In 1983, the Radio Society began to publish DiSCORDER, a newspaper highlighting Canadian independent music. The Radio Society continues to promote campus events and the local music scene through its programming on CiTR and its publications.