The Rossland Historical Museum & Archives Association was established by the Rossland Rotary Club in the basement of the Rossland Court House in 1954 and was incorporated under the BC Societies Act in March of 1955. The present museum was built on the site of the Black Bear Mine in 1967 as a Canadian Centennial project thanks to many dedicated community members. The underground mine tour of the Black Bear Mine ran from 1967 to 2010. In 2014 the museum name was changed to the Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre.
Records management and collecting policies
Our archival holdings document the history of Rossland and the adjacent Trail Creek mining district. Cominco Ltd. and the West Kootenay Power are also included because both were created to serve the Rossland mines. The collection includes material relating to the municipality, school, hospital, court house, businesses, family histories, skiing, and other sports.
480 linear feet of textual records
Inclusive Dates: 1895 to present
Predominant Dates: 1895-1920
Maps: over 472 maps
Photographs: approximately 10,000 photographs in our permanent collection.
Finding aids, guides and publications
The Archives section of the Website archives provides general information about the archival operation and a list of its archival holdings.