Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1946 - 2001 (Creation)
- Rotary Club of Campbell River
Physical description area
1 m of textual records
5 scrapbooks, 1 ledger
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Rotary Club of Campbell River (club 6224), sponsored by the Rotary Club of Courtenay was chartered on April 10, 1946. A celebration of this event was held at the community hall in Campbellton. When established Dr. Ken Craig was the first president and other board members included: F.E. McCarthy (treasurer), Carl O Thulin, Oscar Thulin, A.G. McLean, K.W. Brown, J.H. Burgess.
Although the club charter night was April 10, several (weekly) meetings of the new club took place before then. The first meeting was held on March 13, 1946. The club immediately became involved in community activities and one of their earliest community projects was supporting the construction of a new hall for the Boy Scout's.
Over the years the club has been a part of a number of significant community activities and undertaken a number of community projects. Some of those significant projects include involvement in the building of the community halls, the Centennial Outdoor Pool and ice arena, the Rotary Beach Park and Seawalk and the Cari Infant and Toddler Centre.
Additionally the Rotary Club of Campbell River sponsored the chartering of several new rotary clubs in the area including Port Hardy, Sayward, Gold River and the Campbell River Daybreak Rotary. The Rotary Club of Campbell River continues to have an active role in the community.
These records remained in the care of the club members until transfer to the archives.
Scope and content
Fonds include incoming and outgoing correspondence, club scrapbooks, member rosters and attendance records, meeting minutes and copies of the club newsletter Rotary Weekly Bulletin. The records provide a detailed overview of the Club activities during the period 1946 – 2001 and their involvement with a wide range of community events and the development of community infrastructure such as the construction of an outdoor swimming pool, the seawalk and services such as the Cari Infant and Toddler Centre. Club members include a wide range of individuals from the business sector including members from various pioneering families.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Rotary Club of Campbell River (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description