The Orphanage Committee was appointed by Synod to manage the Diocesan Orphanage and Children's School, later named St. Gabriel, which opened in 1893 on Burrard Street. The intention of the Orphanage was to admit children of any religion. At the first committee meeting held in July 1893, in New Westminster, it was decided that the Orphanage had to be administered by a committee appointed by the Synod, and elected annually. Supervision of the Diocesan Orphanage was to be carried out by "a lady president whose duty is to report annually to the Synod Committee before meeting the Synod"; a Matron was to have complete charge of the children; and "that ..... a secretary treasurer [was to be] appointed by the Synod Committee", also. About 16 children were admitted, varying in age from two to eleven years old. The elder ones attended public school daily. Monthly subscriptions and donations were required to make up the balance of running expenses. The orphanage was soon relocated to the Mount Pleasant area of Vancouver. A special meeting was called in January 1895. Consequently a decision was made "that the effects of the Orphanage to be sold and the proceeds be devoted to the payment of the indebtednefs [sic], the salaries being the first cheque". The motion was carried and the Orphanage was closed the same year.