Fonds - St. George's Parish (Kingcome Inlet, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. George's Parish (Kingcome Inlet, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1934-1998 (Creation)
      Creator
      St. George's Parish (Kingcome Inlet, B.C.)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    .06 m of textual records;architectural drawings

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Biographical history

    St. George's Church was consecrated in 1938. Prior to that, missionary activity began among the Kwagiutl at Kingcome Inlet, as early as the 1890's, in connection with the Church Missionary Society (C.M.S.) mission station at Alert Bay on Vancouver Island. By the late 1920's the missionary work at Kingcome had been transferred to the Columbia Coast Mission and the church was built at Kincome Inlet in 1938. In 1963 the Diocese of New Westminster assumed responsibility for Kingcome. Since 1963, the Diocese has ministered to the Kingcome church in a variety of ways. From 1963 to 1967, a full time Priest in Charge served the community, with a Columbia Coast Mission boat visiting every six weeks to offer medical services. The Mission also donated a boat, the M.V. 'Che Kwa La", to facilitate area ministry. A Church Army captain served as a Lay Evangelist from 1967 to 1969. A priest was appointed in June 1971 and served until September 1973. The parish has since been served from the Synod office, including visits from the bishop and various staff members to Kingcome. From March 1989 to October 1991 a priest from the Diocese of B.C., serving in Alert Bay ministered for one week a month in Kingcome.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Fonds consists of service registers, historical reference material, and non-textual records. Includes vestry book (1934-1959, 1988-1991); printed copy of historical sketches (1989-1968), clippings from The Log of the Columbia, Columbia Coast Mission pamphlet [n.d.]; church and rectory architectural plans.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Inventory list available both on paper and in electronic format.

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Alpha-numeric designations

        BCAUL control number: ANGNW-784

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area