Fonds - St. Mark's Hall (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Mark's Hall (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1909-1925, 1943-1948 (Creation)
      Creator
      St. Mark's Hall (Vancouver, B.C.)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    6 cm of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Biographical history

    In 1902, Bishop John Dart (New Westminster) informed the "English Association for New Westminster and Kootnay" of the need for a diocesan theological school to train clergymen for western Canada. No significant action was taken until 1910 when a large grant from an Anglican conference held in London, UK, was designated with the stipulation that it be used only for a provincial theological school. This event provided the impetus for three British Columbia Bishops to prepare a plan for theological education in the province. It was approved by the Provincial Synod and the English donors who distributed the funds through the British Columbia and Church Aid Society. St. Mark's Hall opened in 1912 at 1249 Davie Street, Vancouver, as one of the two training existing schools. In 1913 St. Mark's Hall was incorporated. In 1920, it merged with Latimer Hall, becoming a unified body under the name, "The Anglican Theological College of British Columbia" (A.T.C.) and moved to the Latimer Hall building on Haro Street, Vancouver. In 1927 the College moved into a new building on the University of British Columbia campus. In 1971 ATC amalgamated with Union College to become Vancouver School of Theology. The contents of the fonds shed light on the development of theological education in British Columbia and the nature of "high church" attitudes and ideas prior to World War I. The work of clergymen and the role of women as supporters of theological education can be discerned. The earliest material emphasizes the English connections of the St. Mark's Hall. There are significant persons named in this material such as Edwyn S.W. Pentreath, Archdeacon of Columbia, Bishop Duvernet (Caledonia), Mrs. Violet Sillitoe and Canon Jocelyn Perkins. The Hall also had the support of English organizations such as the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge ( SPCK), the Society for the Propagation of Gospel (SPG), and the British Columbia and Yukon Church Aid Society (BCYCA)

    Custodial history

    CustodialHistory is unknown prior to 1980.

    Scope and content

    Fonds consists of minutes, legal records, constitution and by-laws, reports, correspondence, women's organization records, clippings, guest book, curricula, and printed material. Includes records of the Governing Council, Principal's Office, faculty, Students' Literary Society, Woman's Guild of St. Mark's Hall, publications of the Hall, clippings (1943-1948) about Charles Allen Seager, first Principal of St. Mark's Hall. Includes the following series: Council; Principal's office; Publications of the Council; Faculty; The Woman's Guild of St. Mark's Hall; Students' Literary Society.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Finding aid available.

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Alpha-numeric designations

        BCAUL control number: ANGSYNOD-596

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area