An Indian Mission operating in 1878 was shifted in 1880 to Alert Bay, and a church - school building was constructed the same year. A church was built in 1892. The principal of St. Michael's School for native children, funded by the Church Missionary Society, ministered to both native and non-native congregations in the area. By 1911 the district was also being served by the Columbia Coast Mission. In 1912 it was known as the "Alert Bay and Indian Mission." In the same year a new school for girls was built with both governmental and church funding (through the Church Aid Society in England). The new school was administered by the Diocese. A lay worker at the school for boys was ordained in 1912 and began to serve both schools. In 1922 responsibility for Indian schools "passed out of direct Diocesan care," but St. Michael's retained its affiliation with the Diocese, and an Indian Mission continued to operate at Christ Church, Alert Bay. (The school and the congregation of Christ Church were assigned different priests).