John Robert Trevitt was born in Ladner, B.C. in 1924 and grew up on his parents' farm in Delta. His parents were John (Jack) Ashford Trevitt II (1892-1966), and Edna Greta Gillanders (1892-1973). Edna was the daughter of Donald Joseph Gillanders and Sarah Matthews Vasey, early settlers and farmers in Cheam and later Ladner. John Ashford immigrated to British Columbia from England, and married Edna in 1918. They had five children: Alice Dorothy, Edith Marjorie, John Robert, Ada Josephine, and Vera Evelyn. John Robert Trevitt married Carol Gariel (Gay) Carroll in 1943. Gay was born in Vancouver in 1925. After serving in the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve on the HMCS Capilano in WWII, John purchased farm land near Ladner (Trunk Road and 57th Street) through the Veteran's Land Act in 1946. Eventually he also inherited the farms of his grandmother (Mrs. Gillander) and parents on Vasey Road. On the latter, he and Gay developed a marina in the 1960s. John also operated the John R. Trevitt Excavating Ltd. company. John and Gay were active in the Delta arts and heritage community, being supporters of the founding of the Delta Museum and Archives. John was a sculptor and carver, and Gay a painter, these activities becoming especially important after retiring from farming. They participated in many of Ladner's historical and traditional events including donning Victorian costumes for May Days, contributing to the bird sanctuary, and playing a part in Delta's Centennial. In 1983, they were awarded Delta's Citizen of the Year Award. Gay Trevitt passed away in 2003. John and Gay had three children: John Robert, Jr. (1944-1984), David (1945- ) and Brian (1950- ).