The Tappen Women's Institue was formed in 1916. The first executive was composed of Mrs. G. Sweeten was president, Mrs. J. Carlin, Vice-President and Mrs. Thomas Sweeten, Secretary-Treasurer. Other members included: Mrs. T. Reilly, Mrs. H.D. McDiarmid, Mrs. Henry Calhoun, Mrs. T. Farrell, Mrs. W.A. Kirkpatrick and Mrs. J.E. Wilson.
The Women's Institute was originally formed in Ontario in 1897 by Mrs. Adelaide Hoodless, with its objective being to form an organization similar to the Farmer's Institute, where they could learn the best and most scientific methods of running a home. It has since changed to include community assistance, sponsoring projects such as flower shows, small fairs, school fairs, handicrafts exhibits, and health exhibits.