Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Ladies Orange Benevolent Association. Shuswap Lodge 473 (Salmon Arm, B.C.)
Physical description area
29.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Swastika Lodge 473 of the Ladies Orange Benevolent Association was organized in 1922 as the womens group affiliated with the male organization, Loyal Orange Lodge. The L.O.L. organization had purchased a building from John Johnston, remodeling the auction rooms upstairs into Lodge Rooms and the downstairs into a hall. The Lodge was situated on Palmer Street.(151 Trans Canada NE).
The Swastika Lodge's primary purpose was to raise money to maintain the childrens home in New Westminster. The women also purchased material and sewed clothing to order, sending the requested clothing to the orphanage each year.
The hall was used for wedding receptions, meetings, bridal showers and small dances. During the 1920's a weekly whist drive happened each Monday, excepting the summer months. Twenty hands of progressive whist were played, accompanied by a lavish supper and prizes. After whist concluded, an hour of dancing took place, to the accompaniment of a violin and piano. The cost of the evening was fifty cents. During the depression the cost of admission was reduced to twenty-five cents. Although the event raised less money, it was continued as a service to the young people of the community.
The parade on the twelfth of July was a highlight for all Lodges in the area. In 1931 Salmon Arm hosted the event. Kamloops, Armstrong, Vernon, and Kelowna Lodge members gathered at the Orange Hall, and were led through Salmon Arm by a high ranking officer on a white horse. In 1941 the group changed its name to Shuswap Lodge 473.
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds is divided into sixteen series and consists of minute books, correspondence, cash books, membership books, financial records, reports and membership certificates.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
BCAUL control number: SAM-379